1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Okay, so you're running a Massachusetts/New England section tonight...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Sep 16, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What's your cover?

The Pats? The Red Sox? NASCAR race in New Hampshire?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think you're probably right.

Belichick has been the story in sports this week, so it deserves centerpiece play. So, I guess a Belichick column, a story about him signing a long term contract with the Pats and the game should be the cover.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I agree with Buck. The baseball should be over before the Pats game, so some readers might already be asleep, or will know less about the game. Belichick is a huge national story and people will want to know the reactions from postgame...Do people in Mass./NE get as sick of Yanks / Red Sox as the rest of the country?

4. False.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bigger papers probably have separate NFL/Patriots sections.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Interesting to see what my place does tomorrow, but I would say Pats for the most part. The only place you can go NASCAR is in New Hampshire. Only place Yankees is probably Fairifeld County (because Giants-Jets lost).

But, for Mass-Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine, it's Pats. First off, Pats play once a week. Also, Yanks-Sox has been on 3 straight days and I don't think there is as much on the line this weekend as ESPN types have led us to believe. Sox are in no danger of missing the playoffs and got a 95 percent chance at the division title.

I would go Pats.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I can't imagine that. I don't know of any in New England paper that would just do a separate Pats section to lead with outside of the front.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You've got to lead with the Patriots. They played what should be a very good team in their conference, not to mention it's their home opener. You throw in everything else that's happened this week, and it's easy. Until October -- barring a full collapse -- the Red Sox are secondary on Monday's spread.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

Patriots would be the centerpiece, with the Yankees-Red Sox running down the right column. NASCAR story would be on the bottom.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

We had all three on the front. Pats the centerpiece.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pats definitely should've been the centerpiece. Given the news that came out of there, especially the perfectly timed report on Belichick's contract extension, it deserves it.

I'm guessing the Herald will have Pats on the front cover and Sox on the back, no inside knowledge, though.

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, but holy crap no. Why do you think the rating are high enough on national TV that they always put their games on? Everyone is eating and breathing this stuff all weekend even though it looks like both teams are probably going into the postseason regardless of the outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted