1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'OK, you're a runner. Get over it'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My nephew ran the Philly marathon this morning in 2:40:16 (6:07 pace) and I was happy for him. Seems like an excellent time for a first marathon. I haven't asked him if he will get a tattoo.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No distaste.
    I couldn't give a shit how anyone chooses to mollify his insecurities.
    I just don't want to hear about it - no offense intended to anyone but Dick.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One textbook way to mollify one's insecurities is to troll people on the Internet in an attempt to feel superior.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

It's very easy for you to label me whatever you wish.
    We've been through this, you little strumpet - you're the troll around here.
    Your 542 (!) topics created are ample evidence of that.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Troll, troll, troll. But you'll never fill that hole.

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I started running this summer, but recently had to take a break due to pain in my foot. Right at the ball of the foot, second toe. I've been able to continue playing soccer - it doesn't hurt running on grass - but I just went out for a run this morning for the first time in over a month.

I'd much rather play soccer or basketball or tennis to stay in shape, but like kingcreole, I like the flexibility running offers. Now, if I can just get my fat ass out of bed a little earlier...

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Your verse is even shittier than your trolling, Dickie.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

2:40 is excellent and the vast majority of runners would be thrilled. Once upon a tiem, the qualifying times for Boston were not aged. It was 2:50 for everybody and the race was an intimate gathering of 3-4000 runners who at least regionally knew each other. You could stand on the green at Hopkinton, before they moved staging to the high school, and renew acquaintances.

As I age, there was a transition from racer to runner. My times are slower. my mileage less and I don;t race anymore. I still enjoy running in the woods and the marsh and along the bike trails but I spend less time on the track working on form and speed.

For those who run long races, the satisfaction is not necessarily found on race day but rather in the hours spent on the road and in the commitment to the weeks of training. The joy of the the last couple of miles of a race and while crossing the finish line is often accompanied by sadness that comes with the realization that a goal has been met. Wihtin a few days, there is a renewed commitment to run another race, not necessarily because of the competition but because of the need to establish a new goal that can be achieved.

10. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Point taken by the people who get annoyed at the running talk, and by people who hate running.
    I only bring it up when people ask me, never post my (meager) accomplishments on Facebook _ but I keep track for myself. People who run marathons SHOULD be proud of it. The great thing about running pride is it's equal among people who win races and those who finish last but just finish. And fellow runners give respect to both.
    It's a personal thing.
    I'm motivated by patting myself on the back after a good workout or race. Others need or want a little extra positive reinforcement. It takes motivation to get out on the road regularly. However you get it.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Slacker!

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted