1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'OK, you're a runner. Get over it'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like the sense of accomplishment following a long nap.

Damn right I'm proud of it.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just got back from a quick 2-miler. I kept it short today because I need to run 11-12 tomorrow. ;)

I totally agree with Rusty on "finding another sport." What I like about running is the simplicity of it. It doesn't have to cost anything. It doesn't require others to participate. It doesn't require any equipment (to the point of some people even running barefoot). You don't need a special place to do it. You open your front door, and off you go.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do people stop playing sports like basketball, baseball and softball when they are 18?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think walking is a good middle ground.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I started running because I've tried several things through the years to get back in shape. I wouldn't say I love running, but there are reasons I continue to do it.

I like that I can run on my own schedule. I don't need the Recreation Commission to send me a schedule of when I can run, like for basketball, volleyball, etc. I don't need to wait for the YMCA to open or stay open.

Other than buying shoes, you don't need to spend a dime to run. No monthly fees, no joiner's fees, nothing.

I like that a hard two-mile run, that's over (for me!) in 16 minutes, is just as productive as a slow eight-miler. If I'm pressed for time, I just do that two-miler.

I stopped running for competition when I started to referee youth soccer again. Now I run to stay in shape for that, but I might enter a race or two this winter.

I don't have a lot of athletic achievements in my life. I played in the state championship soccer game as a senior. I was a two-year starter for my junior college soccer team. I hit a home run over the fence in a slow-pitch softball game. I once slid into second base and kicked up so much dirt that the game was delayed briefly while the dust around me settled. I also completed a half-marathon. I never had a sense of accomplishment like I did that day. I'm not sure I'll ever do one again.

I do agree that many runners - and there are times I probably fit in this category - are annoying fucks. But I have mad respect for those who compete in marathons, Iron Man, etc. Brag away you overachievers!

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I started running cross country to get into/stay in shape for wrestling season. I was surrounded by hardcore runners.

I'm sure they were just as tired of hearing me talk about wrestling as I was of them talking about running.

The moral of the story: We all annoy someone whenever we open our mouths.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There is something to this, and other runners get it.

I was oblivious to this before I learned from my sister. I'm not a runner -- my sister says she's not surprised, that I and my body are not really "made" for it, as someone here mentioned -- but she is an avid one, both for fitness and competition.

I and some other members of the family once went and watched her run in a marathon a few years ago, and she did well, particularly within her age group. Well, I was proud of her -- I was surprised at the emotion and welling up I actually felt at watching her and others cross the finish line -- and I went home and bragged about her exploits on Facebook, posting on her page and giving her splits and some overall perspective.

She promptly took the information down.

Apparently, I'd violated some code of honor among runners, and although she appreciated my sentiments, she didn't like that I'd posted about it.

There is pride and understanding within the runners' world, and I think I get it now. And they're entitled.

8. freqposter

freqposter Active Member

I had some rather accomplished exploits while I was out running but never felt the need to put a sticker on the back of the minivan.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can, and do, all of the above. It doesn't have to be either/or.

And Baseball Mom are the worst type stickers.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

To those who say the 13.1 stickers are stupid:

Four years ago, my wife could only run 100 yards before getting winded. So, yeah, when she finished her first half marathon, she put the sticker on the car. Because 13.1 miles is slightly further than 100 yards.

It was a tremendous accomplishment for her. She was proud.

No problem with the stickers at all. I salute anyone running to stay healthy.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Real, hardened pride is a real problem. I'm not sure I'd put you and Shoeless Joe in that category.

I would say that if you put a tattoo of some achievement on your body, it's pretty clear you're proud of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted