1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'OK, you're a runner. Get over it'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm convinced some people were just built for running. Some people can do it all the time and it's not a big deal. My body starts breaking down when I get over 3-4 miles consistently.

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I agree about the 13.2 stickers. But if you run a marathon, that's one hell of an accomplishment and it takes a hell of a lot to get there. My wife ran Chicago and Boston and it is just an impressive feat to even finish. I'm in pretty good shape but even when I was running regularly, I never ran more than 10 miles (and I'm also the type who starts to break down when I get over 3-4 miles consistently). I have no idea how she did that (though she's had meniscus surgery on each knee, a couple years apart).

That said, I do understand why people run. I find it the most enjoyable type of repetitive endurance exercise -- much more so than ellipticals or stationary bikes -- and the most satisfying aerobic workout. I just wish my feet and knees agreed with me.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that it's cute when columnists lambast people for expressing an allegiance or opinion.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Call me a dirty old man but any trend that puts more attractive eye candy (I'm straight but let's be fair, of either sex) on the street is fine with me.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That looks like a cartoon character.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My favorite is when overly healthy people that run all the time die of heart attacks.
    That makes me toast them with a cheesy fried chicken sammich and a pile of waffle chilli fries every time.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I don't work out over a fear of dying early. It's not even about vanity. I run and exercise regularly because I simply feel better when I'm (somewhat) fit and in shape.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's awesome when people die young, too.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's classy and completely normal.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Here come the cops.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always looked at runners as the kids who could not throw and catch in school.

Draft saved Draft deleted