1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK. Very Weird Noise In My Wall.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I'm sitting here at the computer. My daughter is napping. I hear this noise, like someone scraping ice off pavement out in the parking lot of our building. But then I realize it's very rhythmic, short "scrapes" and one per every 1.5 seconds.

So, I get up to see what it is. Assuming it's outside, I look out the kitchen window. Then, I realize it's coming from the wall — the little wall that partially divides the kitchen eating area from the living room. I unplug the cordless phones power and the baby monitor. It keeps going.

I knock on the wall, thinking maybe it's a mouse — keeps going.

I move everything away from the wall (my daughter's toys are in a bin on the other side) — keeps going.

I have no idea what this could possibly be.

The noise is kind of below a plug and to the side of a baseboard heater.

We've lived here for two years this week, and I've never heard it.

It's freaking me out.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Not funny FB. I'm 32 and still scared of that flick. And, my daughter sometimes scares the hell out of me with the looks she gives.

Oh, and belated happy BD.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Unburden your conscience, Pete.

[​IMG]

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

It sounds like a mouse. Put a wad of peanut butter near an opening to draw it out. A couple years ago, we heard scraping in our walls for a few nights. Then, one day, my wife was on the toilet when the little thing tried to get out through the hole in the wall where the pipes for the toilet were. I have never heard her scream so loud.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Well played FDP. But seriously. What the fuck is in my wall!?

6. Pete Incaviglia

Well, I thought that's what it was too. But it's constant, rhythmic and been going on for an hour-plus. It doesn't stop or slow or change when I bang on the wall, which is what mice usually do when they're scared by a noise.

I've called the super, but obviously, neither the husband or wife are home.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It could be a bird that got in through a vent. Flapping it's wings in the vent making for a rhythmic sound.

8. Pete Incaviglia

It sounds like time bomb.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You remember the Stephen King short story - The Moving Finger - (in Nightmares & Dreamscapes).... the finger made a wrong turn and is stuck behind the outlet instead of getting over to the sink or the bathroom.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pete,

You're better off if it is a disembodied finger. A dead bird or mouse is gonna stink a lot more.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I bet it's a racoon.

Draft saved Draft deleted