1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, so why is weather news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jul 17, 2009.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we have weekly weather stories also.
    usually, our weather guy talks to farmers, who say "we've had too much rain" followed next week, by " we need more rain."
    occasionally, someone will say, "it's too hot," followed next by "Man, it's cold."
    scintillating stuff, and readers love it.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. Readers generally like to know trends or other stuff regarding weather, especially if they're in the midst of so many consecutive days at 100+ degrees.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Watching my local TV stations, I sometimes wonder why they don't just devote the entire broadcast to the weather. Seems like they're dying to do that, anyway. And heaven knows it's the only reporting of any depth and nuance they do.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They do it with good reason: people eat it up

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

One more day would've made it old news, actually. It was leading up to an event that happened that day, and basically, the gist of the weather story was, "It rained last night, but it won't affect any of today's festivities." I raised two points with this: 1. One look out the window that morning would've told you weather wasn't going to be a factor, and 2. OK, do the story, but make it a sidebar, not the centerpiece. What they essentially did was turn this two-month researched piece into the sidebar because weather happened. I'm not against all weather stories, but you can't (edit: shouldn't) re-budget the whole paper just because of a thunder storm.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We ran weather on our front page seemingly a lot.

And I always said -- it became a running joke, and everyone knew to bring it to my attention when it was out there -- that when we did put the weather out there, my saying was that it was basically the paper saying, throwing up its hands, "Really, we've got nothing else, so here's the weather." Same with sports (save championship game stuff).

Of course, that paper is now 6 feet under ...

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

My hometown paper still does the "It's hot" articles when it's July or August when it's supposed to be hot. Weather seems to get them jacked up.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

yeah, weather effects everyone. If another Katrina is headed my way, I'd like to know soon enough to get out. Even a thunderstorm or heat wave can affect one's outdoor plans.

Think about it: turn on a sporting event that is played outdoors and within the first five minutes the commentators are talking about the weather, whether it's wind, rain, snow, whatever.

That said, yeah, if it's hum-drum story, not sure it has to be on the front. Guess it depends what else you got that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted