1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, so now you're a three-day-a-week SE ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 24, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So your newspaper is going to dial down from a 7-day to a 3-day publishing schedule.

What do you do differently in the print product? How do you follow Warren Buffet's dictum to "make your paper indispensible" in a 3-day-a-week universe?

A couple of thoughts:

1, RIP to the daily major league baseball report. What's the point of running the boxes if you only run them 3 days a week? You're much more likely to build a page around weekend standings, a big feature and/or a notebook.

2, High school coverage. Whatever you're doing online, you'd need to spotlight some of the better work in the three days you do print. High school stuff is often hard to find in the average metro Sunday paper, but wouldn't it be important to find a significant place for that local prep coverage - more features and notebooks, fewer gamers - on the days you do print?

3, Pro football. Most popular TV sport, so you can go heavy on previews, but won't it be nearly invisible when you don't print another paper until Wednesday?

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

It's going to have to be more features and notebooks, less day-by-day gamers unless it's a big game.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'd argue gamers are more outdated than newspapers anyway. I don't read them. Haven't for years.

I think the toughest question is what on earth to do about preps and NFL football.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

There's no such thing as a three-day-a-week SE...It's called the 24/7/365 Internet.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The headline compressed the concept slightly. The question, as I think you understood, is what do you do as a (24/7) sports editor with that 3-day-a-week dead tree thing that has your name on it.

6. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Lots of opinion, staff, wire and, yes, readers. Pick the best from your online community bloggers (the freebies) and put them in print.

Sunday paper can still blow out college football and be big with college hoops and, around here, college baseball. In the summer, lots of recreation stuff on sunday.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Enterprise stuff, features, advances, columns. There's still a lot you can do. And I agree with a poster above who said internet would be big. All of a sudden, online is your best friend, if it wasn't already before. Make the online your daily product and make the print more magazine-y, with a big picture outlook.

8. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

I understand what you're saying but this is just terrible.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The more you highlight free copy, the more you are telling your (that's a rhetorical you) publisher he doesn't need so many paid sports copy generators.

10. I agree that one route to go is making things more feature-y and less day-to-day gamer type stuff. However, is that really feasibly with a smaller staff and the recognition that you still need the day-to-day stuff for online?

Where I work, online has been our money-maker (subscription site). We publish a free monthly magazine, as well, that we distribute around town and to subscribers. One of my biggest struggles has been getting magazine-quality features for the mag while still trying to keep up with the day-to-day of online, which is our primary focus.

If you go more magazine-style with the paper, how do you balance the time you're putting in for the print stuff (theoretically higher quality) and the online stuff?

11. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Why is your magazine free when your newspaper and online content costs money?

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The costs of the two we print are 100-percent covered by the advertisers; two quarterlies that cover different audiences.

Draft saved Draft deleted