1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK smartphone users ... help me out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here. Never had one problem with Sprint.

I'll probably leap into the EVO market when my contract expires in three months. We should have 4G here by then too.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I had Sprint for five years and the only thing worse than the coverage was the customer service.

It is $25 for unlimited, $15 for 200 MB ... As someone else noted, if we go over, we can just up the plan retroactively, but I'm hoping the 200 MB is enough. Don't plan on streaming a lot of video and whatnot.

One of the phones arrived today (unbelievably frustrating to have only received hers, btw) and we couldn't figure out how to get it to run on the cellular network. I thought it was supposed to pick it up automatically if no WiFi was available. She called me to ask how to do it and, having never used an iphone before, I had no idea. Any suggestions?

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Until the SIM card is activated by your carrier you won't be able to call or access data through their network. But you probably know that.

More likely you need to go in to settings and enable data. That's in settings-->general-->network.

4. bigpern23

Hmm ... I believe the card has been activated (it prompted me to log into ATTwireless the minute I turned it on to activate the phone, and, I assume, the SIM card). When she got home, I made sure 3G and data were enabled in the settings. Unfortunately, we have WiFi, so I'm not sure if the cellular data is working.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

$300! Mine was free in October. Dr. and I have the cheapest calling plan and $5 texting since we both have Blackberry Messanger now. The only person I call out-of-network on a regular basis now is my mom and that's just because she has a landline.
    When I had my Omnia they checked my usage and I fell in the cheapest plan category. However, my Omnia was shit. It didn't link my e-mail and I couldn't open videos. Using this website was an Olympic feat.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Go in to the settings-->wifi and turn off wifi. You'll see a 3G to the left of the time indicating you're on a 3G data network.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Here's what the cell phone companies aren't saying.
    People aren't using their phones to talk anymore.
    Look at how the prices for unlimited talk have fallen.
    Now, notice how ATT and VZW are getting rid of unlimited data plans as more people are buying smartphones that have to use data.
    See?
    ATT and VZW know that once you start using the Net on your fancy new iPhone or Droid (or Palm Pre, like me), you're going to go to town on streaming, downloading and being on the web. Heck you can even make video calls on some phones.
    So, if you go over ATT's 2GBs, you're screwed.
    For me, I average a little over 2GBs, I stream out-of-area radio stations in my car and at work. During MLB season, I pay $15 and can stream every game for the ENTIRE season. I use more than 3 GBs a month for that.
    The cell companies know voice is going to be a small part of their biz, it's all texting and data.
    If you get a new smartphone with a data plan, pay very close attention to your monthly usage because the companies want you to go over and pay up the ying yang.

8. bigpern23

Oh, clearly .. I already have the cheapest talk plan available. AT&T claimed the reason they abandoned their original unlimited data plan (which cost $20/month) was because areas like NYC were using too much bandwidth streaming YouTube videos and such, but let's be honest, they knew that they could make more money by making unlimited data cost $25. They hid it behind the guise of the $15 plan, but they want everyone to take the $25 plan. But since I won't be streaming much video outside my home, I think the cheaper plan will work for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted