1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK smartphone users ... help me out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I think it's $20 or $25 bucks a month. I'm right on the bubble with my usage, so I considered going with the smaller one. Not a huge amount, but for those working at tiny papers like me, it makes a difference.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

IIRC, at&t did away with its unlimited plan a few months ago due to the iPhone and how much people used the network. You could grandfather in the unlimited plan but could start anew.

That said, I'm a pretty heavy usert on my BB and use about 1.5 gigs a month on verizon. The wife, a basic user does about a tenth of that, which sounds like your level of usage.

I would do what has been suggested, and start big and work your way down.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have ATT and I keep a very close eye on the Data Package, because once you drop down, you can't go back up.

Anyway, I started at unlimited but it was rather unecessary as I was pretty close to the lowest tier. Even with all of my web usage.

I am constantly checking Twitter and Facebook, and for one weekend alone, I streamed Pandora for about 20+ hours. With all of that, plus another 30 minutes per day of Pandora, the ocassional download and a few log ons to Opera mini, I was barely over the usage for ATT's lowest plan. You should be okay.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Unlimited is $25. There is also a $20 plan and a $15 plan.

Even if you are a power user, the $20 plan will work. If you are an occassional user, $15 will absolutely do the trick. I am a power user, and throughout the last 4 months (since I dropped unlimited) I've been over the $15 plan allotment 2 times and under it 2 times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think mine is $25 with Verizon, too. Not sure, though. It's worth it for me to just pay the extra few bucks, get unlimited usage and never worry about possible overages, etc..

6. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Unless they recently changed it, unlimited is $30 for an iPhone data plan. I got my 3GS last year, so I had the unlimited deal. Dropped down to the $15 plan a few months ago and haven't come remotely close to going over it. So you're probably OK.

With my grandfathered-in voice plan from a decade ago, cheaper data plan and work discount, my iPhone bill is less than $50 a month now.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sprint unlimited phone, text, data: $69.99 per month.

I guess this would be where people start posting that Sprint sucks, etc, etc. ::)

8. I dropped the $300 and bought the Blackberry Curve with Virgin Mobile for the $35/month 300 min unlimited everything else plan on the Sprint network and I have nothing bad to say. My desk at work is a huge dead zone, which sucks, but I have no complaints about the coverage everywhere else. If you talk a lot, you can get 1200 min monthly for $40. I was previously paying Verizon $65 month for lots of text and talk. I do miss unlimited nights and weekends, though. I have to be careful with chats with the parents now.

I'll have the phone paid off in eight months, so it is worth it.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man. $300 for a phone?

God bless the Verizon New Every Two plan. Got my Blackberry Curve for zippy. Might be time for an upgrade soon, though. The camera on my phone blows ass.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Shit, that "new every two" plan is a joke. I think I saved like $50 on my phone. Stupid Verizon.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Amen ... was debating about switching over to an iPhone, but once Sprint came out with this plan along with the Evo 4G I was locked into Sprint for at least another two years. Never had one iota of a problem with Sprint's service or reception in general.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

BigPern,
    My wife and I took the plunge on the iPhone 4 - which I recommend, just for the video chat feature.
    We haven't come close to hitting whatever the data max was and we went with the lowest plan. Basically, as long as you're not downloading videos or a ton of music with the network, you're fine.
    And the service problems aren't there. I haven't had a problem and when I lose connection, it's pretty much the same spot I lost it with Verizon.

Draft saved Draft deleted