1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, should I even bother to watch 30 Rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

"Five inches.... but it's thick."

30 is half the number, maybe twice as funny.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I liked when everybody broke into their Jay Leno impressions.
    Also, that one guy does a mean Ray Romano.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

just watched it. it's definitely worth watching.

tina fey, 14 years after that horrid yearbook shot, is totally yummy. 8) 8) 8)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Am I the only one who thinks Martin Lawrence will be suing the show for basing the Tracy Morgan character completely on him?

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Didn't see any resemblance to Martin?

The rest of it is subjective.

That is not.

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

Got 4 Stars in the NY Daily News review:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/460391p-387323c.html

7. Mizzougrad96

I was laughing my ass off at "I'm a Jedi, I'm a Jedi..." and the movie where he plays a white grandmother... But I'm guessing one of two things happened, Morgan and Lawrence are friends and he's doing it as a "tribute" or NBC is seeing how close they can make Morgan's character obviously resemble Martin without getting sued...

I definitely liked the show though...

8. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I thought the show was funny, the characters were believable as working on a comedy show (note to Studio 60). Alec Baldwin could be in line for a classic TV character. No one does smug arrogance better or funnier.

Tracy Morgan - what the hell were they thinking? He wasn't funny on SNL, and isn't funny here. He alone could bring the whole show down.

9. Mizzougrad96

Maybe it's just me, but I get the sense that Studio 60 is much more realistic than this one, not that this one is trying to be realistic...

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Just watched the first episode, and I thought it was hilarious. Hilarious. Probably a dozen moments that were laugh-out-loud funny. Baldwin has the ability to take throwaway lines and make them funny because of his timing. I like Fey in this, too. They're gonna have to be careful with Tracy Morgan -- he's best in small doses. But his over-the-top, jive-talking humor kind of works when paired with Fey's understated, smart-girl wise-cracks. The only false note is Jane Krakowski. She just can't keep up with the other three, comedically. This was originally Rachel Dratch's role, but they replaced her because she wasn't pretty enough, supposedly. Krakowski's pretty, but not funny enough.

Overall though, A-. Season pass on TiVo

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Problem: It's a 22 minute show and those 5 laughs were it.

But I Love Jane [​IMG]

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, Studio 60 is a drama and 30 Rock a comedy, so yeah .... :)

OK, I gave it a shot. Wasn't great, but didn't totally suck. I'll try it out again next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted