1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, now this Minnesota thing is getting serious...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 13, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I also doubt they will.

But, Dayton shares the blame if they don't. You don't announce a surrender and then set your terms.

Surrender is unconditional.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't think Dayton meant it as surrender. He was saying -- I'll give you what you want fiscally (which isn't really all that Republican-responsible, given it relies a lot on borrowing). However, I want something on policy (i.e., let's not go all Scott Walker here). Why should Dayton have to "surrender?"

The art of politics is compromise. The consistent narrative on Republicans post-2010 is that it's their way or no way. And, yes, I know Democratic legislators in two states fled, but that was after Republicans refused to negotiate at all, and the legislators were left with no other options.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Tell that to the Japanese.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

It's not surrender, it's a deal to get the state running again.

The Minnesota GOP isn't the least bit interested in that. That's why they won't take the deal.

By my count that's the fourth offer he's put on the table that any sane political party would have taken.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm sure he wishes he were dealing with one.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The Metrodome was put all back together yesterday.

Well, the roof is back up..but maybe this can be the catalyst to get a budget deal done so a Viking stadium bill can be passed. Re-purpose that munitions dump!

(The proposed site in Arden Hills was a munitions dump/plant. Not to be confused with the Metrodome)

And Favre is working out with Viking QB Joe Webb:

While we're still convinced Favre is done, history has shown us approximately 1,000 times that it's never a sure thing. Maybe Favre is trying to embrace the mentor role that never really stuck with him during his career? Couldn't you picture Favre and Webb on a high school practice field together, with Favre shouting at him:

"Joe! Completions are way more awesome when you force them through triple coverage!"

*Never say never.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/125561853.html

http://uabsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071311aab.html

Skol, Vikings!

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

And T-Paw never made varsity.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

His wife doesn't even think he's good enough in the sack.

9. Machine Head

What's really sad is that he was on the JV third line and the coach always shortened the bench.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

But he's polling three percent in New Hampshire!

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Batgirl is outpolling Pawlenty by a more than 4-to-1 margin in their common backyard.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/ia/iowa_republican_presidential_primary-1588.html

But you'll also see that Romney is also within the margin of error in a couple of polls and leading her by a point in another. Mittens is still in the catbird seat. All he has to do is finish second in Iowa.

12. Machine Head

See, they shorten the bench on him everywhere he goes.

Anyway, he's busy inflicting himself upon the good people of Iowa at the moment.

Back to the budget deal, Dayton made a mistake in going public with his concessions.

Draft saved Draft deleted