1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, now this Minnesota thing is getting serious...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's easy to say you're fiscally responsible when you are obligated to balance the budget. Too bad he thinks parlor tricks is part of displaying leadership.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So if this drags on, does that mean no Gophers football? Imagine the joy at B1G hq if they find out they're back to 11 teams and the Leaders and Legends won't be having a title game after all.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My boss' fishing trip in a few weeks won't be much fun if it continues since you can't get a fishing license.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well holy fuck. I'm going to be in Minnesota this weekend, for the first time ever, and I won't be able to drink at the wedding reception? Or go to a bar for a bourbon. Or go to Target Field and not have a beer as I watch the Twins play?

And this is the kind of chicken shit games the politicians play there?

Any Minnesota reporter want some colorful quotes from a soon to be very angry traveler to your state

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

You boss should just go ahead and fish. It sounds like there won't be anyone to issue a citation.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope they got the marriage license early.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's convenient that law enforcement isn't part of the shutdown. It seems some local DNR officers aren't citing people, though.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/07/13/shutdown-fishing-without-license/

I hate this piecemeal shutdown. It just allows politicians to take their time. Everything needs to be shutdown. State government needs to cease all activities. If it happened, I have little doubt there would be a budget passed.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As I understand it, about 70 percent of Minnesota gub'mint is still active.

Some [activist] judge didn't want the hospitals shutting off life support [Death Panels!] or the prisons unlocking the doors and cutting everyone loose. [Soft on crime!!!]

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

More of the same. Wonderful, just wonderful:

Gov. Mark Dayton said Thursday morning that he is willing to accept Republicans' June 30 budget offer, which would close a $1.4 billion budget difference by delaying payment of school funds and borrowing against the state's tobacco settlement.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/125567238.html

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dayton blinked. Nice.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Call me Kreskin: They won't take the deal.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Good chance they won't. Dayton wants other concessions in return.

But there's blood in the water now.

15X15!!

Draft saved Draft deleted