1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, now this Minnesota thing is getting serious...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Deal!

But we don't buy the beer in Wisconsin. They already make millions every year from Minnesotans making Sunday beer runs because the liquor stores are CLOSED in Minnesota on Sundays.

We go to Michigan to buy the beer and build the extra fuel costs into our suggested retail price. We can also go to Canada and barter for beer to offset our costs. I figure for a couple of nets and a few sticks and pucks we'd get a semi or two.

2. Machine Head

MAKE IT STOP!!

Shutdown forces Miller-Coors to pull beer from shelves

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/125490398.html

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I hate Rex Banner

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

From the Miller-Coors story, American government at its finest:

5. Machine Head

One of the beers being pulled off the shelves:

[​IMG]

This just isn't right.

6. Machine Head

And don't expect to go to the track, either:

The mood was alternately somber and angry for the jockeys at Canterbury Park, so much so that when I asked veteran jock Paul Nolan what he would like to say to the geniuses who run the state, he replied: "You mean besides the four-letter words?"

They are among the innocent victims of the state closure, many of them low-paid workers and independent contractors who simply do not earn a living if their horses don't run. Since jockeys and some trainers who own their horses are considered independent business owners, they also don't qualify for unemployment.

Canterbury Park is regulated by the Minnesota Racing Commission (MRC), which is a state agency. Even though Canterbury Park pays for the costs of regulation and is paid up through July, a judge ruled that the MRC must close, and thus Canterbury. The track has appealed the decision, but meanwhile, the 1,100 employees are out of work, along with several hundred jockeys, trainers, hot walkers and others.

http://www.startribune.com/local/125454508.html

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This story demonstrates everything that is wrong with Government.

Private business is put in a position where they cannon operate without government. Perfect.

Like the fricking Mafia, they make themselves your business partner. They offer nothing in return -- in fact they put up hurdles to your success, all the while taking a cut off of the top.

And, they can't even hold up their end of the bargain. The check was for too much money!

GD. They ought to license the taxing of booze and cigarets to the Gambino's or one of the other families. We wouldn't have these problems.

And, why close revenue producing offices anyway? If an agency is self sufficient, keep it the fuck open.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe the citizens need to band together to oust a government that has no authority to govern anymore.

Revolution, though, is apparently illegal.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Cool. Kick start that economy here.

Don't forget to factor in the 10 cent deposit (per bottle) into your cost either.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They're denying the state MICKEY'S? You can't take away a man's MICKEY'S!

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nothing in return?

I take it your business never has any police or fire protection?

I take it the items you import are not free of contamination, and your customers are not free of being poisoned?

And I take it your goods are not patent protected? And your payments are made in pure gold?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. And, that's what I get for them taking 9.75% off the top?

1. Police & Fire

Have I gotten police or fire protection? No. When my laptop was stolen, I had to catch and hold the guy until the police showed up.

A career criminal, who was out on parole, he should have still been in jail. Thanks to the government, he was out and available to prey on people.

He's doing 7 years now.

You're welcome.

2. Contamination & poisoning?

Could be completely privatized.

UL is not government. All kinds of "seals of approval" are not administered by the government.

Who's going to go to a place that poisons its customers?

Most of my customers already employ a company like EcoSure (http://www.ecosure.com/) to monitor their sanitary practices.

Their managers' bonuses are dependent on the scores they receive.

3. Patents & Currency

Neither my State, County, or City issues patents or prints money. Does yours?

When you want to know why businesses aren't launching and/or hiring, ask people that own (or used to own) a business.

If you think local/state government is a good partner for small business (especially a restaurant), guess again.

Draft saved Draft deleted