1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, now I am awake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 15, 2009.

1. I have a pink folder with all the important stuff in it. I didn't even think about this scenario, though. Now it's next to my bed. Thanks, Pope.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You guys are kidding me! Cardboard boxes, folders? The real FarmerJerome, a firefighter for about 700 years, would be shocked!

Get a fireproof safe and store it in a cool, dry place like your cellar. Heat travels up so even if a fire starts in your basement, hopefully a fireproof box or safe in a corner (off the floor in case of a flooded basement) would be a zillion times better than a folder by the bed.

Chances are, if you are awakened by a fire you'll initially be confused or have no time to remember your documents. At least then there is a chance they'll be safe.

If you're strapped for cash, Christmas is six weeks away. Cross something off your list and put a cheap fireproof box on it instead.
    This guy could probably store a bunch of important docs, a dvd of your wedding and a burned CD of your family pics with room to spare for $50:

http://www.target.com/dp/B0016FZL48/sr=1-2/qid=1258342014/ref=sr_1_2/185-0405068-8730951?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Afireproof&page=1

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have a small fireproof safe. Anything important other than my laptop is already in it.

If I hear the smoke alarm go off, I'm right off the kitchen where the fire extinguisher is. So there's that small bit of probably-meaningless comfort, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted