1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK liberals and other Democrat fans....you get Congress back. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Oct 19, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, it's a given they'll try to raise taxes, tipping the economy backwards into a recession. Democrats never met a tax hike they didn't like, after all. I also expect them to try to pull out the troops, launch investigations into what Bush did, blah blah blah.

Fine and dandy. But you know something? The Democrats do that, and they hand over the keys to Congress once again in two years. A Republican congress and McCain as president. MMM. Tasty.

The one thing I haven't seen so far from the Democrats is something saying what they'll do. In other words, they haven't led. Here's a hint: LEAD. Propose new initiatives. Ya, I might not like them, but at least someone will have proposed legislation instead of saying "well we can't do this because the GOP will get mad", etc.

Lead. Do something. If you merely turn the next two years into a referendum of the last six, then you'll fail.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Articles of impeachment

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Federally mandated naps, above already required breaks, during eight-hour work shifts.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Plus, no one wants Cheney in the driver's seat, at least not anymore than he is already.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She's screwed. God could have been the incumbent gov in Mich this time around -- and
    He'd lose. Yeah, I want to buy GM stock . . . right.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mandated naps? Hell, Ronnie made those part of the constitution, twenty years ago.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well played.

Personally, a shift in spending and a reduction in the budget are real possibilities. And as a military veteran, cuts in military spending don't always equal less support for the troops. Until you've been in and seen where some of the money is foolishly spent, don't even attempt to make that claim.

Investigations? Sure, why not? The Republicans did it to Clinton, and what the Shrub and his ilk have done are far worse than what Clinton might have done.

A reformed foreign policy? It would certainly help. We have to do something to turn the tide of losing our allies.

Entitlements? Sorry if I'm not as jaded or callous as you, but I would have no problem working on real health care reform. Anyone who thinks access to an improved health care system is an "entitlement," then we need to cut all forms of welfare, social security, Medicare and more. I've got a very good inside view into the insurance industry and I can tell you it's a death spiral if things keep going the way they have been.

Is that enough of a plan for you, Yawn?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

More info from medical science:

Scientists speculate that the onset of a yawn is triggered either by fatigue, or by sheer boredom as, at those times, breathing is shallow, and little oxygen is carried to the lungs by the oxygen-toting cardiovascular system.

When one yawns, his or her alertness is heightened, as the sudden intake of oxygen increases the heart rate, rids the lungs and the bloodstream of the carbon dioxide buildup, and forces oxygen through blood vessels in the brain, while restoring normal breathing and ventilating the lungs.

This quite plausible theory of yawning falls short of explaining many aspects of yawning. Scientists explain away the "contagious" nature of yawning, that is when one person's yawn triggers another nearby to yawn, as due to the power of suggestion, but are at a loss when attempting to explain why yawning occurs excessively in patients with lower brainstem damage or with multiple sclerosis.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/yawn.asp

9. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Why bother? This sneering twerp isn't really looking for any answers, just to bait. And I'm sure he's a master baiter.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I have long advocated this. It works in kindergarten, it would work in the rest of society.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The tired "Democrats don't have a plan!" talking point continues to amuse me. This from the same people who insisted that Al Gore was just a wooden policy wonk, and that the 2000 election needed to be about who we'd rather have a beer with.

As a matter of fact, Pelosi has already released a list of what she'll do in her first 100 hours as House speaker. It's not that hard to find. The DNC has this thing called, you know, a Web site, that will give you a pretty good idea of what legislation they'll push for.

If you're relying on the shit-for-brains Washington press corps to find out about a candidate's/party's issues and agenda, yeah, I can see how you might feel lost.

I said the same thing the Kerry-stands-for-nothing crowd in '04: I watched three debates, paid attention to what he said on the campaign trail, read his Web site, and studied his voting history. If you didn't know where Kerry stood, YOU were the one with the problem. Same for any other candidate (with the exception of Arnold Schwarzenegger).

Oh, those who think the Dems will guarantee a recession should go crunch some 20th-century numbers on how the economy performs with the Democrats in charge vs. the Republicans in control. Here's a good start:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/21/markets/election_demsvreps/

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Chris L should be due any moment now.

Draft saved Draft deleted