1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK Jurors, he said he did it. Everyone understand?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Jan 23, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The cornerstone of our justice system is that it's better that 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man be jailed. That's why one must be convicted beyond a reasonable doubt.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He went to trial (i.e. -- he was allowed a chance to defend himself against the charges) for murder. He was convicted (i.e. -- by a jury of his peers). He appealed (i.e. -- he was allowed an appeal based on legal grounds) his conviction that resulted from a trial. The appeals court upheld his appeal (i.e. -- a court listened to his argument) and remanded back for a new trial (i.e. -- so he could once again defend himself). He pled rather than going to trial again (i.e. -- availing himself of another chance to defend himself).

That is due process at work right there. This guy was NOT cheated on the fairness scale.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Right, but the OP is arguing he shouldn't have gotten an appeal.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't argue that. He had a right to it, but didn't mean he had to use it. He had a public defender, who is likely burdened with a lot of cases. By spending time on this guy, it likely took away time from an innocent person who was wrongly arrested.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

He must've told the judge 15 minutes will save him money on car insurance. Boom, case dismissed.

cjericho likes this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Due process is for those who deserve it. #amirite #sjethics

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He didn't walk away.

I am baffled as to what the problem is here.

franticscribe likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

For some reason, cjericho thinks insanity is not relevant. Professor Charles W. Kingsfield Jr. disapproves.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He does not "get to walk away." The state can try him again.

Everyone's entitled to a fair trial. The appellate court concluded he didn't get one the first time, so they sent it back ..that's all ..not letting him "walk away."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. cjericho

Well if he is insane, should he be sentenced to 30 years in prison?

11. JohnHammond

Time to rest your case, Dan Fielding.

12. cjericho

Just thought that he was clearly guilty, and maybe should've gone right to jail after the original case. He definitely had a right to an appeal. He had a public defender in an inner-city, who most likely has more cases than he can handle. Maybe he could've waived the appeal and let the public defender help those who were wrongfully arrested.

Draft saved Draft deleted