1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, it's snarky, but...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The American Copy Editors Society is having its national convention, and announced its national awards. And congratulations to all the winners, by the way:

http://www.aces2010.org/blog/?p=23

But I just can't help myself. Here's a graf from that announcement blog:

Judges’ comments: Miller’s tone is spot-on, and his wordplay is subtle, nuanced and clever. “Jai-alai fling lasted decades” puts a creative spin on what could have been a simple “business closes” headline while perfectly complimenting the action in the photo below it.”

That's a complimenting/complementing error in the judges' comments, right?

I know they happen, but again, considering the group involved, it had to be noted.

My advance apologies to ACES.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, maybe the headline had a well-disguised statement of praise for the photo that YOU didn't pick up on. ;)

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Congrats Ace ! Nice job.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the complament, boom.

(The headline seems so-so to me, BTW.)

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This nitpick would be much more effective with the proper use of "its" in the introductory sentence. (But if the irony is intentional, my apologies.)

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm going to claim that a blog announcing awards and a message board should be held to two different standards.

I won't particularly believe that, but that's what I'm going to claim.

(Note also how I had one correct its and one incorrect its in that sentence -- although both are correct now.)

Draft saved Draft deleted