1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, it's my turn to be on a game show...and yours to help! (updated on Page 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Re: OK, it's my turn to be on a game show...

Roy's awesome. And you could have offered Paula Pop-Tarts.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Poundstone is consistently funny on that show.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

One of the Christmas eps where Pierce was trying to get Poundstone to answer something about Mall Santas or something, and kept leading into it by referencing Imus' comments (hos, ho ho ho, get it?) was the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I played it about five times.

I laugh out loud at least twice during each podcast.

4. Re: OK, it's my turn to be on a game show...

I would have loved to have known PJ in his wilder days. His story in his autobiography about tying up his friend to a tree with a chain while going on a bender had me in tears.

And no offense, IJAG, but this show isn't my speed. Listening to the eggheads tell Elliott Spitzer jokes reminds me of listening to the nerds in my church youth group brag about sipping their dad's beer.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Geekiness in an NPR way works for you... Congrats!

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Awesome, IJAG. Congrats!

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So how does the greeting work? Does Carl have a general purpose greeting or do you feed him lines for it or what? Inquiring minds want to know (I want to know!)

I am holding out hope for a game-show appearance someday, but until some enterprising mind invents The Hostess Snack Cake Pentathalon, I'm shit out of luck.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Oh, Jeez!

This is going to make my little brain hurt! I mean the cross-pollination of two media, that were supposed to be disconnected, suddenly joined together.

Please tell me you didn't make them squirm and feed the answers to you.

The Secretary of Education was a recent guest on the "Not My Job" segment. She was playing to win a prize for a soldier in Iraq. There was no way that she was going to lose, but it took some work. As she was leaving the show, they played "Hot for Teacher."

Congratulations. Who knew that your 15 seconds of fame would be this?

9. imjustagirl

Ha! No, I needed no hints. I guess if I didn't spend half my day on the internet, or had a real job like the Secretary of Education, I might not have been up on some of the "Not My Job" type of stuff.

But my questions involved the five-year anniversary of the war, Jeremiah Wright and Paul McCartney. You'd pretty much have to be 'tarded to not get them.

And Meat, they have samples of Carl's messages on waitwait.npr.org. I can't play them on my home computer, but I've heard them before. He puts some effort into them. The producer's supposed to call me today to get some information, and I guess he riffs off that. No idea, really. It's all the magic of Carl!!!

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Are you putting this on your cell phone? Because if you are, I'm going to call you just so I can hear it. :D

11. imjustagirl

It's the only phone I have...so yes. :D

They send a CD with it on there, so I'll just have to play it on my computer and record it onto my cell. Then I'll have a backup that I'll put in a safe.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Congrats, sweetheart!

(I wish I knew what you were talking about.)

Draft saved Draft deleted