1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, I'm willing to admit it.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

This is probably sarcastic - otherwise, it's poetic.

And I'm not throwing in the towel on the GOP. Frankly, except for a couple of unelectable people (why? because they haven't the corrupt money), there's no one there that has more intestinal fortitude than a corporate bastard falling in his golden parachute. And if you're curious, corporate America is what will bring us down. Wolverines will have to battle in the gated communities, those with the highest-dollar palaces.

And if you think there's one Democrat with guts, you're nuts. And that starts with Che. O'Bama might have something. Biden might. Other than that, they're all pieces of shit.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Actually Yawn, Kucinich is the only Dem I can remotely see having the guts of which you speak. The rest of them, Obama and Biden included, are all corporate creatures.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If bizarre stands and having the guts to stand on them is a definition of guts, I guess you're right. Liberal extremists say the same thing about Huckabee.

Fact is until we have a third party, there's no chance of anything other than more shit, elephant or donkey version.

4. The only reason I prefer Democrats and Big Government over Republicans and Big Business is because I, as a reporter, can investigate and affect change in Big Government.

It's much harder to investigate Big Business, such as Enron, because they don't have to tell you anything. They can keep stealing or dumping chemcals in the water while the understaffed government agencies struggle to keep up.

It's a rigged game. The least you can do is vote Democrat.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I do hope it doesn't come to that. I'd like to think that the gap between left and right has been so great for so long, eventually it'll swing toward the middle; perhaps at some point the President, even if he/she is not of your party, will not have policies that are completely disagreeable to the other side.

But I fear the rhetoric may be too great to overcome. I made the point before that I was at W's second inauguration; I stood there and heard him proclaim he was going to extend a hand to the left. I fucking heard him say it. Has he? Of course not.

I've gotten a little more conservative over the years, but I will rejoice when that man leaves office. His buffoonery has dragged down the GOP as a whole (though, at least in my state, they've harmed themselves as well); that never really mattered to me until my wife mentioned that oh, by the way, if the GOP has less than 40 members in the Senate, her position may get cut and she may be out of a job.

Then in the other corner you've got the Reid/Pelosi tag team, whose sole job it seems is to play connect the dots between the administration and every negative aspect of American life. They too proclaimed they'd work with the President, and that hasn't happened. Like S-CHIP. If they know they can't override a veto, are they simply unable to reach a compromise? Instead, they try to ram something through, it gets vetoed - which they knew would happen - and the whole thing becomes an exercise in futility.

Fuck it. Maybe Yawn's right.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Brazil. Good economy. Wonderful people. Beautiful women.

I'd head somewhere in the Middle East if it wasn't for all the wars and non-secular societies.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Time is short and life is cruel -
    But it's up to us to change
    This town called malice.

8. Nah, the media just makes it look bad.

9. And that song came out in, what, 1980 or '81?

Relax, folks.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You don't hear much from The Kinks anymore.
    Too bad. I really liked them when I was a kid.

11. I'm surprised the Davies brothers haven't killed each other by now.

But yeah, I miss The Kinks, too.

12. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Amazing. A political thread on which SportsJournalists.com members aren't beating the shit out of each other because we don't all agree on what's best -- nor can we completely prove why each of our political beliefs are what everybody else on this board should believe.

I've posted a political thing here and there over the years, but generally avoided it like the plague, not wanting the guaranteed written ass-kicking that would follow if I posted my beliefs -- which probably tells you how I think and vote right there. Suffice to say, I vote my conscience, and my family's past, present and future weigh heavily in that decision.

Yeah, the point of this thread is depressing. But it's also refreshing, for once, that a politics-related thread hasn't turned into a bashfest, and we're already on the third page of responses. And I don't think we're totally circling the drain as a country -- I can't go there yet. Too many good things to live for to think that way, namely a wife and two kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted