1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, i done gone set Facebook on fire. In honor of Reagan's stirring Challenger speech:

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 28, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I just said, "What, no more trips to other worlds? What about Mars?"

That's what most 12-13-year old kids were thinking, I suspect.

Who knew Starman was the engineering equivalent of Doogie Howser?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Speaking of Republican speechifyin', Trump'll be in seconds.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I always hated the "slipped the surly bonds of Earth" quote because it was quite clear from the video that good old Earth's gravity had a hold of them and was going to fuck them on impact with the ocean.

I had hoped they all died instantly and painlessly at the time of the explosion, but there is some evidence that a few of them activated their emergency respiration systems and might have survived until ocean impact. Whether any of them were conscious that long is a mystery - NASA probably knows, but that info is in a lockbox.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Somebody in the front row has Downs Syndrome.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The much-repeated "Challenger transcript" is still all over the intertoobs. Officially, it's been conclusively debunked several times, but I stilll have a nagging suspicion that it's probably true.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus also Challenger had the teacher on board, and schools around the country were teaching about the shuttle, and some were even televising it in the classrooms live.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My first reaction was, "Strap a rocket to your ass, and something bad is bound to happen."

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Didn't the Reagan administration pressure NASA to launch that morning so they could be in orbit for his State of the Union that night?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Doubtful ... It was originally scheduled to already be back on the ground by the SOTU ...

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Everything I've read says there was no explicit "damn-the-safety-checklist, get-that-thing-in-orbit" order, but some of the powers-that-be in NASA thought it would look real good funding-wise if they were off the ground by SOTU.

Draft saved Draft deleted