1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK... Help me choose what to buy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 10, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hi Dyepack or spawn of Dyepack... Glad to see you bringing your good cheer to the board. Keep it up, sport. You're a real treat.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Still plenty of cheap CDs available on my storefront: Cracker, 10,000 Maniacs, Rush, John Hiatt, Joe Jackson, John Coltrane, Metallica, Gavin DeGraw, Smithereens, Liz Phair, Marc Cohn, The Replacements, plenty of classical. Most between $1 and $2, plus $2.59 shipping. Order away!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/index.html/103-9590686-8687015?ie=UTF8&sellerID=A2FHZ6P65HW03G

3. The Big Ragu

I haven't bought a CD since 1998 or 1999. I had an MP3 player before Ipods, when it was like 20 songs on a smart media card and me using MusicMatch, pre iTunes to manage my collection.

4. The Big Ragu

JR has it closest to right. I may load up on some books. Can't believe I haven't done that. I have probably bought 15 books since then and actually paid for then rather than use the gift certificate staring me in the face. I am insane.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but everytime I sell one of the CDs I like, I burn it.

I've sold almost 90 CDs on there over the last couple weeks. I just had too many, they sat on my floor for months and months, I never listened to them. So I started posting them on Amazon cheap, and they have been going fast. Most of my stuff I take home from the library anyway (and since I buy the music for my library I can get whatever I want) and burn it onto my computer and then transfer it onto another device. So I'm just unloading all my stuff, making about $3 each.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to unload their CD collection. Even sold a couple books.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Sorry, TSP. There's still a gay little romanticism I have in which I will not, not ever sell my CDs. I see your point, believe me, but I spent too much time and money putting the collection together.

7. The Big Ragu

Please go away. I am not insulting you. Just saying you not only don't add a thing to the board, you detract from it for the people with intelligence.

8. Then I guess you have nothing to worry about.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Buy a bunch of books, paper, pens, arts & crafts type stuff and donate them to the local Boys&Girls Club.

10. The Big Ragu

Ashy, I love this idea... Thanks. I am actually now considering seeing if I can just give the gift certificate to a local group I volunteer with and seeing if they can spend it on stuff they need. It's actually a great idea. Not a big sacrifice for me because the way I am, I'll never spend it. And this way they can buy whatever they need with it.

My best ever was a gift certificate plus a store credit I had to Tiffany's for close to three years. It was worth a couple of hundred dollars. I visited the store once, and there wasn't a thing in there that I wanted. So I left and the credit and gift certificate were left sitting in my bag. Finally, I saw it one day, knew I'd never spend it and gave it to a friend who I know appreciated it a lot more than I did.

It's kind of sad because you can get anything at Amazon, unlike Tiffany's. But I don't know why I have these blocks when it comes to these things. I did spend my gift certificate for running shoes, though. It was a good gift because I am going to buy them periodically anyhow.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Ragu,

I would not just give some group the GC. There may be all kinds of rules involved about how they can redeem it or what they can use it for. Find a group they want to help, ask them what they need and just go get it for them. It's a little more trouble for you but you know they'll get exactly what they wanted.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I was about to say ... shame on you for selling Liz Phair, but since you burn it before mailing it off, I guess that's OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted