1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, gamers: XBox360 or PS3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I got a PS3, simply for the backward compatibility to my PS2 games. I'm still learning all the other stuff, like streaming music from iTunes through it. And I got 5 free Blu-Ray movies from Sony coming my way.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So between the problems with the XBox360, and the outrageous expense and lack of good games for the PS3, is it even worth getting a next-gen system? I'm sticking with my PS2 for now, mainly because of the price -- both of the system and the next-gen TV I'd have to buy to get the most out of it.
    If I had to pick one, I'd go for the 360. Better games (BioShock looks kick-ass), a little cheaper, better online service. But I keep hearing horror stories and wonder if there will ever be a good time to get one.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

With the PS3 you're still dealing with first-generation launch games, i.e. Sony still is trying to figure out what the hell to do with the new system. 360 doesn't have that problem. It's currently kicking ass and taking names. Plus, their decision to extend the warranty on every system due to a design flaw not only cost them hundreds of millions of dollars, but it showed that they care what kind of system they're putting out there. I'd go with the 360.

However, unless you have an HDTV, don't bother getting either.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I really want a 360, just not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on $300.

How crucial is the amount of memory? If I get that Arcade version that has something like 256 MB, am I going to be screwed? Will a memory card serve the purpose? All I'm gonna play is FIFA '08.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FIFA 08 is a glorious game. It's all I've played since getting the PS3.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids have both hooked up to one TV. No big deal. Just plug in and go.

Or I should say they did. The 360 is in the shop. When I brought it in to the UPS store, the clerk says: "XBox 360?" He gets about four a day that are being fixed.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Got my Wii last spring - traded in a PS2 to do it.

Graphics are weak, but my game-playing experience has changed immensely. I don't spend as much time playing as I used to, and I play with friends more often. It's a great party console because many of the games are so easy to pick up and play.

For hardcore gamers (ie., you love Halo, etc.) there are titles coming that should give you a reason to check the Wii out. Resident Evil 4 was re-made for the Wii and is incredible. Apparently Metroid for the Wii is wicked. There's a new Mario game (Mario Galaxy) coming out this month that is apparently mind-blowingly good.

When they come out with an HD-capable Wii in two years that has 1080p graphics, it'll be the best-selling game system ever. Mark my words.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've played both, and my vote goes for the 360. Good Doctor covered the PS3's defects well.

I don't understand the Wii thing. If you want to exert yourself physically, go outside and do it.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I love, love, love my 360.

I was a big PS2 guy, but there's no way I'll be sinking money into that thing. There are tons of great games out there for the 360, the online service is fantastic (and not just for playing other people, for download trial & full versions of games, TV shows, HD movies, etc.) & all my gaming pals have one.

The Wii intrigued me, but after hearing from a lot of people that have two or all three of the new systems, the Wii is more of a novelty & only comes out when people are over. The big draw for me was the NES games to download, but why should I pay for those when my NES & 100+ games still works fine.

I can't recommend the 360 enough. Instead of boring everyone with more nonsense, PM for more info.

Oh, BBAM, if you can afford it, go for the Premium, the one with the hard drive. You can get away with a memory card for just FIFA, but you'll find plenty of things you wish you could save to that hard drive.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

love my wii, for the record

but i'm a casual gamer

i have considered a 360 for sports games, though

11. Turbo

Turbo Guest

Had a 360, sold it, got a PS3. I don't regret the decision one bit.

The 360 is a great machine. Online is definitely ahead of PS3. But I've got to have my F1 and MLB The Show - both PS3 exclusives.

The 360 is winning now, but I still think the PS3's future is brighter.

12. Just got a PS3 on Sunday. I've played 360 and while it's a great system, to those saying it's a better "media center," well that's just not true. The PS3 is an outstanding system. Sure, game developers are still realizing the potential of what a powerful machine can do, but the potential for amazing things is out there. Supposedly, the GTA game coming out in March is going to be unbelievable and Call of Duty 4 is amazing. As for the Blu Ray, well it speaks for itself and the system also upconverts all regular DVDs to 1080i caliber high def.

In the past three days, I have done the following things on my PS3: played NBA 2K8 (great game), put all of my music on the system, watched 300 in full 1080p, watched episodes of the Sopranos upconverted and surfed the internet with nary a wire.

Plus, the PS3 has no history of crapping out like the 360. Now that prices are about even, the argument for getting a 360 over a PS3 comes down solely to the type of games you want to play. But there's no doubt that the PS3 is the more powerful of the two.

Draft saved Draft deleted