1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK folks, that time of the year again...and your Xmas bonus is????

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Winner. While work is the big reason I can't be with any of the family for the first time, that same work has probably brightened my outlook significantly. Simply put, it's given me much, much more than anything it has taken away.

But, as usual, Herbert worded it better.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Company feed was noonish Monday. Went in early and indulged, then worked on pages. But, what's this? Even after everyone grazed on leftovers all day, there was enough left for another round and I could conveniently take my break during MNF?

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Our school district - and this is my first year - gave every employee, from management to custodial, a $500 check back on Dec. 10.
    Awesome.

That's 10 elementary schools, three middle, one high school, one alternative.
    Lots of money went out.
    They called it a "retention incentive"
    Flat-out awesome!

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Company's owner walked by me twice on Friday. Never looked at me, never said "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." Didn't say hello. Didn't even respond when I said hello your second time by. Just acted like I - and everyone else - wasn't even there. OK, so I've had one raise in 15 years, have never had a Christmas bonus. But do you have to be such an insufferable prick that you can't even display just a little common courtesy?

5. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I've been out of the biz for almost a decade and the last Christmas bonus I got was when I was working for a newspaper.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've been out of the business for about three years and am in another line of work. On a freelance basis I do copy editing and proof reading for a paper that comes out once or twice a month, depending on the month. The last two years the owner of that paper has sent me a box of sausages and cheeses. It's better than anything I got around the holidays in 25 years from the major metropolitan daily I was at.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I just had my first Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter off in several years. That will do as a bonus. I don't expect to get any off in 2012, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted