1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK folks, that time of the year again...and your Xmas bonus is????

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Some money, movie passes and an open bar at the holiday party. Can't complain.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

We get a holiday party and a bonus day off with pay.

And I've got to be honest with you. As badly as our company is doing, we probably don't deserve any of that.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I haven't had a Christmas bonus since 1997.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

We always have a company Christmas party. Of course, this year's was on a Saturday, when our entire staff was working.

5. Samson

Samson Guest

My boss nixed our pot luck idea ... in favor of a catered lunch at work where the company budgeted $15 per person, including the part-timer. Considering the fact that going OUT to dinner or lunch was also on the table as an idea, I don't mind getting off the hook when it comes to cooking or baking something.

I don't expect a bonus, per se, but we'll see what happens.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Your avatar is my Christmas bonus.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My bonus was not being forced to attend the office party.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I have worked in this biz since 1997 and have gotten a christmas bonus exactly once, in 97. it was a $25 gift certificate to a grocery store that was 30 miles from where I lived.
    but at least this year I won't have to work on christmas eve or day, something I had to do every year when I worked in TV.
    and my bonus to myself is assigning myself to cover a bowl game the week after

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've been fortunate in my career, I guess. Like I mentioned above, I got a $500 bonus, same as last year. At a previous shop, I got a week's pay for every week of vacation I qualified for and since I was there more than 10 years, I got three weeks pay. That was sweet.

After I left there, there was a two-year window - a year at one paper and my first year at my current shop - where there was no bonus. Then last year, the $500 bonus started.

Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I've been in this regard.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My bosses have confirmed there is a day called Christmas on the calendar. They aren't going any further than that though.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I got a rock ... oops, wrong holiday.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

My office is bringing in food one day next week to make up for another year of layoffs and salary freezes (but no furloughs, at least). My Christmas bonus to myself is starting a new job outside of newspapers next month, with annual bonuses and raises.

Draft saved Draft deleted