1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK Folks, Another Facebook/Twitter Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, still in pursuit of a job outside this biz. And, one of the requirements for a job I'm pursuing is to "create a social media strategy."

I'll be specific, I'm applying for a gig at a college conference. So, that said, how should a conference use Facebook? What aps? What would you (as media) want to see? And what would fans want?

I'm thinking polls, discussions, video packages, etc.

Anything else?

There are 500 million users out there, and that includes alumni from schools in this small conference. How do you connect?
  2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is the conference using Facebook and Twitter already? That might help answer your questions.

Quite possibly, this conference (like a lot of employers) knows that people are on Facebook and Twitter, but it has no idea how to get started. Any strategy is going to rely on whom you want to connect with. Is the audience:

-- Conference members?
    -- Fans?
    -- Media?
    -- Students?
    -- Alumni?
    -- All of them?

They all could be handled in one site. You also can create special tabs on Facebook that can announce specific events or promotions. There are resources all over the web that can help you brainstorm.

PM me if you want more.
  3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Here's the problem: What the media want and what fans want aren't the same thing. As a reporter, if I get a thousand press releases (or things of the similar ilk) shoved down my throat, it just pisses me off. Die-hard fans won't be able to get enough of that stuff.

I would think you would not want to put those two groups together when making your proposals.

Other than that, as one who uses neither outlet very frequently or effectively, I've got nothing.
  4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You need to go to advertising age or someplace and order some white papers. See what the agencies do for their major clients. And remember, the worst thing that can happen isn't someone saying something bad, it's people not saying anything at all.
Draft saved Draft deleted