1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, Facebook is officially creeping me out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Jun 25, 2009.

1. I, for one, welcome our new facebook overlords.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Facebook is recommending that I become friends with Beer Pong. Not even a person, but a drinking game. It would appear Facebook thinks I am a damn lonely person.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If Facebook is creepy, I'm not sure what that makes MySpace.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate that they're suggesting things we should become fans of.

My favorite: Become a fan of The Swine Flu

If you're so much as fans of the same thing as one other person, they'll show up on your suggestions.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think you can get STDs from MySpace.

6. Mizzougrad96

One of the creepiest places ever. Dane Cook has 3 million My Space friends.

Enough said. :)

7. Mizzougrad96

I just spit Coke Zero all over my keyboard... Thanks for that... ;D

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Passé.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I did this with a girl whom I dated in high school, only to find out she had a kid when she was 20.

The sense of relief that it wasn't mine quickly overpowered the sadness and disappointment that she's long gone.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Speaking of MySpace ... a social media researcher compares people ditching MySpace in favor of Facebook to white flight.<blockquote>But in fact, she said, sites like MySpace and Facebook are mirroring, even magnifying, our social, political and class divides.

"MySpace has become the ghetto of the digital landscape," Ms. Boyd explained to the crowd. And many of us in these social environments, she said, "have gotten into the habit of crossing the street like we always do to avoid the riff-raff."

In her research, conducted over four years for her fall 2008 dissertation at Berkeley, she found that what we're seeing is "a modern incarnation of White Flight." Facebook users who canceled or abandoned their MySpace accounts are more likely to be white, educated and privileged. Compounding the problem is the press, Ms. Boyd said, "an institution that stems from privilege," which narrated MySpace as "the dangerous underbelly of the Internet while Facebook was the utopian savior." ...

"The fact that digital migration is revealing the same social patterns as urban white flight should send warning signals to all of us," she said. "It should scare the hell out of us."

"When people are structurally divided, they do not share space with one another, they do not communicate with one another; this canon does breed intolerance," Ms. Boyd said. </blockquote>http://www.observer.com/2009/media/battle-between-facebook-and-myspace-digital-white-flight

(Found via Inquisitr)

«sigh»

I don't have my Picard facepalm picture handy, but ... yeah, you see what I'm saying.

12. The problem with MySpace?

Well, uh...Facebook's better in every aspect except music. That's a pretty major problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted