1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, even I can't defend this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Charging for carry-ons would increase the number of checked bags, which means more fuel has to be added to the plane, which is an increased cost. Remember, those carry on bags are included in the weight calculations of the passengers, which means a lighter load, which requires less fuel.

And on US's -37s, especially going to Florida in the summer, the more weight needed for extra fuel do to possible thunderstorms means fewer people can be on the plane. I had to pull 25 passengers off a full plane before because we couldn't go with the weight as it was. That's not a good situation either.

The main culprits of carry-ons not fitting are: Not the right size carry-on (too big) and people putting jackets, smaller items such as purses and what not, in the overhead bins, and then people can't put their bags in, which means they are going to end up checked as well. If people would put their smaller bags under the seat in front of them, hold on to their jackets and let EVERYONE on first to put up the bigger carry-ons, then almost always, everything will fit. I've seen it happen.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I don't for one minute doubt your expertise, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, but ... so my carryon weighs more under the plane than it weighs in the bin? I guess you're saying they use different estimates and they can cram a lot of baggage into the passenger cabin estimate. But if you pan back a little, does this all really make sense? It's the same bag, wherever it rides, right?

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

When weight and balance is calculated for the FAA, there are a few compenents:

The aircraft itself. The number of checked bags. The number of checked duffels. Cargo. Fuel. And passengers.

Crew and their bags are included already in the plane's weight, along with sodas, etc.

Checked bags are 30 pounds. Checked duffels are 50.

Fuel is number of gallons times 6.7 (on average...this varies with temperature).

Cargo is how ever much it weighs. This and fuel are the most accurately weighed part.

And passenger are 185 in the summer and 195 in thew winter. That includes everything, including your carryon. Children under 12 are half.

Doesn't matter if it's me, who weighs 300. Or suzie who weighs 100. We're both 185 for the calculations.

So, if you have a bag you carry on, you weight contribution is 185. If you check that bag, it's now 215, or if it's real heavy 235.

Whomever is doing AWABS has to determine the proper amount of fuel for that flight based on weight. The higher the weight, the more fuel required by the FAA for that route.

So yes, where that bag is counted makes a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted