1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, even I can't defend this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My former employer, US Airways, is hiking fees for bags:

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/articles/2011/02/07/20110207us-airways-baggage-fees-rise.html

As stated in previous threads, I have no problem with bag fees, overweight bag fees, oversize charges, all of that, because I understand the overall problems the airlines face.

But to think that it's, what's the word, justifiable to charge someone $90 bucks for a 51-pound bag, it has gotten out of hand. And now it's $175 for a 71-pound bag. That's a jump of 80% and 75%. I could see going to $60 and $110 as an increase, but wow, they are going for broke here.

I have got to think this won't last long, sort of like them charging $2 for an on board drink a few years ago.

See, even I have a heart :)

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

People will complain but will pay it.

They do it because they know they can.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The last time I flew it was because I was getting my travel costs reimbursed. The last few years I've driven multiple trips I would have flown before. Granted, I'm not going coast-to-coast or international, but I can't afford to fly to visit family anymore.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Lufthansa (no bag fee as long as you only check one) dinged me $130 for my one bag that was 6 kilos (14 pounds) overweight.

That was in addition to their $600 fees ("take it or stay in Russia") mentioned in an earlier thread.

I'll take a dinghy to Europe before I set foot on one of their planes again.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I actually fly more nowadays for a number of reasons, but mostly because JetBlue and Southwest take me wherever I need to go, and they do it efficiently. There's also no need to factor in bag fees or other nonsense; the price they quote me up front is what I'm paying.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would never pay that. I'd throw out a pair of shoes, or something heavy before paying 100 extra bucks each way.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'll stick with Southwest. They go where I go and the prices are right on par with everyone else and no bag fees.

8. Bag fees don't affect me. The next time I check one will be the first.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You can't defend this?

You sound like your Tar Heels.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thanks to these bag fees and all the other bullshit that comes with flying these days (including the TSA), if I can't get there quickly by car or by train, I ain't going.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was just one way. Wife packed a lot of personal items from homeland that she could not take when she first arrived.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

IJAG=Dead. To. Me.

Draft saved Draft deleted