1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, Boomer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which institutions?

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The story "OK, Boomer" story is more than three weeks old. Are people still mad about it?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That’s one thing that always kills me is that radio stations play the same songs every three or four hours. Don’t they think people get sick of listening to them?

The way I see it, say there’s a station that plays Top 40 music for the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Say you take the top 40 songs ranked by the end of each year (use whatever ranker). That would be 400 songs for one decade. Now maybe, cut those in half because the song doesn’t fit the format (a country, rap, heavy metal, etc. hit). So now, there’s 200 songs. Even if you say there’s another 50 songs that don’t hit the format you want, there’s still a choice of 150 songs per decade. 450 songs.

Instead, we hear the same 30-40 songs every day and flip the station as soon as those tired songs are on.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get a little agitated at my local class rock station because they are starting to mix in stuff that, to me, isn't classic rock, and some classic rock staples are rarely heard anymore.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When was the last time anyone turned on terrestrial radio and heard a song they've never heard before?

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Me, because when my wife drives my truck she likes to leave country music on the radio for me to find. She knows how much I looooooooove country.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is probably cheating, but my truck radio is almost always tuned to one of the local public radio stations that is affiliated with a state university. From 7 to midnight, they program music varying from local to world music. I frequently hear songs I haven’t heard, a few of which I would rather not hear again.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

XM Radio has a fucking playlist for their stations. That’s a sad joke.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I am amazed they keep Richard Blade employed. They could have saved thousands by simply recording a week’s worth of his shows in 2012 and playing it on a loop, since they play the same Depeche/Cure/Police/ U2/Smiths on a loop.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend Apple Music and its “just for you” feature. I play it all day at work and rarely have to skip a song.

Draft saved Draft deleted