1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, Boomer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Nov 3, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

holograms!

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the Band, and Bruce Springsteen at the middle/end of the decade.

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...ts-down-heckler-during-climate-change-speech/

By
    Reis Thebault
    November 5, 2019 at 10:03 p.m. EST
    The 25-year-old lawmaker was just 40 seconds into her speech about the dire importance of stricter climate change policy when a heckle rang through the mostly empty hearing room.

“In the year 2050, I will be 56 years old; yet, right now, the average age of this 52nd Parliament is 49 years old,” said Chlöe Swarbrick, a member of the New Zealand Parliament, emphasizing that the burden of dealing with a climate crisis will fall on her generation and those who come after.

As she spoke, one of her colleagues jeered at her age, shouting something indiscernible from his seat. With devastating concision, and like legions of teens on TikTok before her, Swarbrick replied without missing a beat: “OK, boomer,” she said, then continued her remarks.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Before the 70s were over TP and the Heartbreakers had recorded and released 6 of their all time classic songs.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Popular/Top 40 music or whatever it is the young kids are listening to may be awful, but there's a ton of great music out there now. It just isn't distributed the way it used to be. People don't listen to radio. It's almost impossible to compare music in 2019 to music of the 70s because the way music gets out into the ether is completely different than it was back then.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is, but streaming services heavily tilt toward junk. Mostly hip hop/rap/sexpop junk.

Of course there’s good stuff in all of those genres. But a lot of it is awful. And critics are notoriously soft on it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess, but maybe I listen to streaming different than most do. Spotify does a great job of keeping that stuff out of my daily mixes, because I never really listen to it. Hell, I managed to avoid Old Town Road for like six months.

franticscribe likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I belong to a local civic organization. At last night's meeting, a couple of guys who do our annual audit report made a motion to change the date it's due from Jan. 1 to Feb. 1 in order to get a more accurate accounting because by Jan. 1, the December bank statements aren't even out.
    Three old guys who did it in the 70s started pitching a fit. Now keep in mind, this is an internal thing that could be submitted Jan. 1, Dec. 31, or any time in between. The only criteria is whenever the lodge wants to hear it.
    I finally snapped after about 10 minutes of discussing something that should have taken 10 seconds.
    "Fine. Let's just keep doing it the way we've always done it so your little boat won't be rocked."
    Never mind the fact that these three don't even do the report anyway.

9. Similar issues at my KofC lodge.
    Been doing fish fries there since the 1960s.
    Numbers keep dropping - I think its because people my age and younger may not be big fans of deep fried crap. I suggested adding sushi to the menu (buying in bulk form local grocery store who has a real japanese sushi chef)
    OH. HELL. NO.
    You'da thought I was suggesting a statue of satan pissing into a punch bowl.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Much of that is because of shitty Classic Rock formats on corporate radio. (Fuck you, Clear Channel.)

Bands with huge catalogues like the Stones are still limited to the same old fifteen or so songs. Other bands have a one song playlist - so if the "DJ" says that they'll play Ten Years After after the break, you know that they'll play "I'd Love to Change the World" off of A Space in Time. Steely Dan - "Deacon Blues", "Do It Again", maybe "Peg". There are untold riches of unplayed music that fits the format and people would love to hear, but some dickhead of a marketing goob sets a lowest common denominator playlist.

misterbc likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I read a radio forum and it is depressing how matter-of-fact the professionals are about music playlists. It doesn't matter what the station plays, a tight playlist is a must. There is no room for the hint of free-form, even within a genre.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We have about stopped doing dinners because oyster roasts, barbecue, even spaghetti is available every day on every other street corner these days. In years past, you had a draw on that stuff like that because it wasn't everyday fare. "Hey, the Masons are having their annual oyster roast in November. The Moose is having a chili supper in January. The Ruritan is having barbecue in April" etc. People put it on their calendars, and groups could make money. There's no hook these days.

We do our best on breakfasts. It's low overhead, and around here, people will toss $10 in a basket for all you can eat eggs, pancakes, sausage, biscuits and gravy if they know it's a fundraiser.

Draft saved Draft deleted