1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, bike-a-holics, here's your chance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, we'll agree to disagree on this one, Ragu. For the kind of riding Fife described, I'd get something really inexpensive and figure out my real interest level.
    But that's me.
    Fife is older than me, a lot older than me. In fact, a lot older than most people.
    Like Methuselah.
    So he might have some special needs.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And to think I used to like you.

But your advice is solid. I'm going to go cheap or used to start and make sure I do enjoy it and stick with it before I put out too much money.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with Ragu.

If you buy a cheapo bike--say, $199 at your local Wal-Mart, you're buying a piece of crap and the riding will not be a pleasant experience.

Personally, I'd set the bar at the high end of the $300-$500 range.

However, Moddy might want to consider this instead. :)

[​IMG]

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You rang?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can only speak for road bikes, so here goes:

The most important thing is fit. If the bike is too big/small, you will hurt and stop riding. Cycling is supposed to hurt muscles, not joints and bones. If you are looking at an aluminum bike, it doesn't matter what brand it is, guaranteed it comes from the same Giant factory in Taiwan. They make em to the specs of the name on the down tube, but they all come from the same place so whatever brand you chose will be pretty good quality. Maybe Trek or Giant or Specialized or whatever fits you better for whatever reason, each brand's geometry is a little different, but go with what fits.

A good bike shop will fit the bike when you get it. You don't need the $150 two-hour custom fit. It's nice to have it down to the millimeter, but for a recreational/fitness rider just a standard fit by a reputable dealer is good.

Do not buy a department store bike. They are crap. I repeat CRAP.

If you can find a used bike at a good price, go for it. Just stay clear of the department store junk. Someone mentioned $300. My wheels alone cost more than that.

After fit, the components are the next thing. If you're looking at a Shimano equipped bike (and I would guess so because Campy doesn't make anything entry level), stick to 105. You'll outgrow Sora in two weeks (although it is perfectly functional). Tiagra is OK, but you might as well spend a little more and get the 105 because it IS better in terms of crisp shifting and weight. Some road weenies will tell you you've got to go higher than that, but not really unless you're racing or have to compensate for a small pecker. 105 is the perfect meeting point of price and quality.

Get a cutout saddle and bike shorts. Your privates will thank you later. Road bike saddles aren't meant to be comfortable, but you'll get used to it. There is a difference between not quite comfortable and a bad saddle. If your taint is sore right off the bat, that's normal. If the head of your dick is going numb, you need to adjust the saddle or find a new one.

If you are riding seriously at all, clipless pedals and shoes are a must. I already mentioned cycling shorts. Depending on what you truly want to accomplish, shorts, jersey, gloves should be on your list. It's not just a "want to look the part" deal either. They have function in terms of keeping muscles warm, wicking away sweat, keeping your hands comfortable while riding, not having a ton of drag, etc.

Don't ride without a helmet. No, a bike helmet won't do a damn thing if you get plowed by a Buick, but it will keep a minor fall from becoming major.

If you are looking at something other than a roadie, then never mind.

6. accguy

accguy Member

Moddy,

I would spend part of a weekend day or a night or two after work checking out your local bike shops. Buying bikes has kind of become like buying a car in bigger cities as nobody has everything. In my town, there are shops that are primarily Trek shops and primarily Specialized shops.

I would take some stuff for test rides. Figure out what you like and what you don't.

If you're going to ride on streets and paths only (or almost exclusively), you don't need a suspension fork. All that will be is extra weight you don't need. One line I would suggest at least trying is the Trek FX line. It is a hybrid with pretty skinny tires, but you sit upright. No suspension fork. It's a solid line of bikes that is perfect for rides of up to an hour or two. I've done 25-30 miles in one setting a number of times.

Hope that helps.

And, yes, get a helmet.

7. Moderator1

I always wear a helmet. I was one of the first dads in the 'hood to make his kids wear helmets.
    Covered a race years ago. Guy hits something in the road, goes straight up in the air and comes straight down on his head. Helmet explodes into many pieces. He gets up and dusts himself off.

Without the helmet? He's dead or a vegetable.

A hybrid is sounding more and more like the winner here.

8. Shoeless Joe

[​IMG]

come on .... you don't want to spend the day sitting on this??? ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Moderator1

Your sack fits in that thing in the middle?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joe, Your advice is great... if you are going to ride a road bike (I don't think Moddy should) and you are serious about it (more than just recreational rides). But a Shimano 105 groupset costs somewhere around $700. The bike they typically come on will cost at least $1,200 to $1,500 or more depending on how else the bike is equiped. I think that is about 10 stratospheres beyond what Moddy had in mind.

I'd recommend getting 105s as the lowest option if you are considering racing or doing some serious road biking, but that is a bit much for a guy looking to put on a helmet and ride around the neighborhood. By the way, the Campagnolo Veloce is on par with Shimano 105, so Campy does play in that range. It's just that the typical Campy rider doesn't realize there is anything in the world other than Super Record, Record or Chorus. It's not like that with Shimano. There is life beyond Dura-Ace. More bikes sold in the more recreational arena tend to go with the lower-end Shimano components and you will have an easy time finding a lot of bikes in the $700 to $1,200 range that hit a broad market that are outfitted with Tiagra, or if the rider is lucky, 105s.

Moddy, find a good hybrid please. Get one that is road biased (it has something like a road frame, but thicker rims to make the riding more comfortable for rougher terrain. It will be more comfortable for street riding). Don't get caught up in components. In your price range, it isn't going to even figure into the equation. You can go so crazy trying to shave a gram of weight off a bike or getting the smoothest shifting possible, but you really shouldn't unless you are a racer or you need the latest greatest, and a full groupset of high-end components will cost you a few grand anyhow (that's not the bike, that is the the stuff holding the bike together, shifting, etc.).

Follow Joe's advice and go to a good bike shop and get fitted. Geometry does differ, as Joe pointed out. Try out several bikes and find one that feels comfortable. Two brands to look at where you can more bike for less money are Jamis and Giant. I can't personally recommend them. Have never owned. Just know they have good reputations for relatively inexpensive bikes. I know for sure, with a new Jamis bike, you can get into your price range. The question is whether you are comfortable sitting on the particular bike.

11. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

Moddy
    Do they have an indoor cycling class (spinning, RPM, Cycle Rebook, etc.) at your gym? That might be a good way to get used to the "feel" of riding and to test out the shoes and shorts. You also might meet some more people who are part of the cycling community in your area.

12. Shoeless Joe

Yeah, that's why I added the part about if you are looking for a road bike. I know nothing about hybrids or mountain bikes or about what his goals are.

Cycling is as addicting as drugs. You get a D bike and you want a C, then you want a B then your mouth is watering for a tricked out A with all the top end stuff that only Pros ride because it's team issue stuff.

That's why I say go ahead and spend a little more up front instead of buying a lower end bike and immediately start upgrading. You spend more in the long run.

Again, I'm only speaking from roadie's point of view (former uscf license holding leg shaver).

Draft saved Draft deleted