1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ok. Be Honest. Do you rock out or sing loudly when you're driving alone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jul 23, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok. Do you guys remember that scene in the movie Dogma where the angel says something to the extent of how funny it is to see a person's face during sex? How embarrasing the looks are?

Well, for whatever reason, that thought came in my mind in the middle of singing (at nearly the top of my lungs) one of my most guilty pleasure songs--One Headlight by the Wallflowers.

I was driving along, by myself, rocking out to the start of the chorus (You know, the "Hey, Hey, HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY" part) and starting thinking "This has got to look and sound pretty fucking pathetic."

That thought made me chuckle and I started to run off the list of other songs that, if I am driving by my lonesome, I absolutely have to sing and/or rock out to.

Some, in no particular order, are:

Barely Breathing by Duncan Sheik (sp*)
    Enter Sandman by Metallica
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue by Toby Keith
    Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
    Hit 'Em Up by Tupac

Now, granted, that is far from a complete list. But the topic got me thinking about whether or not other people do it and if they're brave enough to admit it.

So...do you? And if so, to what songs? What's been your most embarassing moment while singing/rocking out? And, of course, what songs are you most ashamed to say that you have to sing along with?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've been known to play air guitar and sing during "Go Your Own Way" while in the car. It must be a funny sight when I'm stopped at a red light rocking out to that song.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I sing along to just about anything I'm listening to. I've stopped caring how I look (or sound for that matter). It makes me smile, so I do it.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I do it all. Air guitar, singing loud, drumming on the steering wheel. I'm not as bad as the UPS guy on scrubs, but I get after it pretty good.

And that's just to the Carpenters!!!!

I've been rocking out to the Who the last couple of days, must have been the VH1 Rock Honors.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Absolutely I do. I'll sing along to pretty much any song I know the words to.
    Song I'm most embarrassed by? Gotta be "Can't Touch This" and "Ice, Ice, Baby". I actually get upset when I hear the opening to "Superfreak" and Rick James (biatch!) breaks in instead of Hammer.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't so much sing, but I blare the music to the point where sitting at a stop light with my windows down makes it feel awkward for those around me. I'll tap some fingers on my door if I have my arm out the window, but that's about it.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Just the other day it was "We Built This City" for me. Got a weird look from someone. Just smiled at them and kept on going.

8. schiezainc

That made me chuckle. Many a times I'll find myself "spitting the lyrics" to "Ice, Ice, Baby" and right around the point where I get to the "If there was a problem, yo I'll solve it" I feel ashamed for anyone within sight of me and for white people in general.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sing? No. Rock out? You must be joking ... not cool enough to pull that off.

Air drumming? Oh yeah ... especially if it's Genesis or Rush.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Any Hip-Hop song I know the words to. Today it was Same Song by Digital Underground and a little Heavy D

11. schiezainc

I've done that and I try like heck to avoid eye contact because chances are, if they look at me, i'm going to burst out in a fit of laughter from their expression.

I was approaching a red light once with my brother and N' Sync's "I Want You Back" was on, so I turned it all the way up and as we got to the car on the side of us, my brother and I are screaming "So tell me what to do now...when I want...you...back".

The people next to us had to be in their 30s but the whole car rolled their windows down, laughed at us and started signing loudly too. It was one of the funniest road moments I've ever had.

12. schiezainc

I don't know of a person alive who hasn't air drummed the big moment of "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.

Draft saved Draft deleted