1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK......baseball rules experts.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 30, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that usually only comes into play if the weather conditions are such that you're not sure if the ball is going to land fair or foul.

I heard that exact example during my umpiring training workshops last year from the grizzled veteran umpire who still attended even though he's probably memorized the book. The only time I wasn't sure what a pop fly was going to do in an infield fly situation, I called out, "infield fly, batter out if fair." When the ball landed foul, I just called it a foul ball.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Scoring question: who is credited with a run scored if a courtesy runner scores?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would have called dead-ball interference and sent the runners back to their bases.

Had I thought a defensive player could have made a play, I would have called the runner on third out and sent the runner back to second.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Said friend was behind the plate when I saw the Royals play last Saturday at the K. Didn't get a chance to talk to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted