1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK......baseball rules experts.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I tried texting one of my best friends tonight, who happens to be an umpire.

But, alas, I forgot.........the son of a bitch was umpiring the Angels-Yankees game at the new Yankee Stadium.

2. That's exactly correct. I had never heard of it before it happened to us tonight.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Instead of starting a new thread, here's one I hadn't seen until Tuesday.

Home Team has bases loaded with one out. Batter hits a towering pop up on the infield, right at the first-base line. Three Visiting Team players circle under the ball, and it drops just fair.

Now, the obvious call there is infield fly, batter out, runners go at own risk. But the umps never called infield fly. Thus, the runners started going. Batter reaches first, and the catcher gets the ball and tags out runner coming home.

Umps discuss and announce inning over on a double play (infield fly, runner coming home). Is the infield fly rule automatic even if no umpire calls it?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Interference on the part of the on-deck batter.

Runner at third is out.

As for kingcreole's question, an umpire's got to call it.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Chef's question: He got it exactly right. If the offense interfered, there must be an out. You would call the runner closest to home out. If the ball merely deflected off the on-deck hitter and he didn't do anything intentionally, then no interference would be called.

Goldglove's question: Each league in Minor League Baseball has its own rules, however, the general rule is that doubleheaders are both seven-inning games. There are also guidelines for when a game is suspended, that the suspended game will be completed to nine innings and the regular game would be seven.

King's question: It really depends on the location of the fielders and the fly ball. If the ball was obviously an infield fly and the umpires brainfarted, then the infield fly rule is in effect and it falls on the offense to know the situation. If there is ANY doubt that the catch can be made with ordinary effort by an infielder, then there is no infield fly and the play is treated as normal.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I always thought the make-up game was seven, and the regularly-scheduled one nine.

Edit: I see Matt must have addressed what I was thinking of.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My gut tells me this is the call ... Dead ball immediately, all runners stay at the base they are at/have passed, and an out is issued.

RB

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Called a buddy who has umpired more high school state title games here in Indiana than anyone else I know of.

His response: "If the kid coming from third's already touched home by the time the kid starts fucking around with the ball, then you let it stand and the run counts. If he touches the ball before the kid gets home, you send the runners back.

"You can't give a team an advantage for having a dumbass on their roster."

Also: No outs called on the play.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rule 7.08:
    A runner is out when:

(g) He attempts to score on a play in which the batter interferes with the play at home base before two are out. With two out, the interference puts the batter out and no score counts;

Not exactly Chef's situation but close enough, I think to considering on-deck batter as a batter.

And:
    7.09 It is interference by a batter or a runner when—

(c) Before two are out and a runner on third base, the batter hinders a fielder in making a play at home base; the runner is out;

Again, both rules refer to the batter but I'd say Chef made a good call in considering the jerk in the on-deck circle to have interfered with the play.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If the runner doesn't try to come home, you send him back. If he does try, he's out on the interference call. If he touches the plate before nimrod touches the ball, it's a dead ball. I would think.. .

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

I texted my friend, the MLB umpire, and I was right.

As for king's infield-fly.......the umpires should call the infield fly, but when they're yelling "INFIELD FLY" they should yell also "IF IT'S FAIR.....IF IT'S FAIR"

If it's foul.......the infield fly is no longer in effect.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Anyone else see what the first base ump did in the TOR-KC game the other night?

Line-drive down the first base line, hits right on the line.....

Originally signals foul....then changes his mind to fair.

He did a great job of selling it........Cito Gaston however was quite displeased.

To put it mildly, he blew a damn gasket.

Draft saved Draft deleted