1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, a new topic: Help me plan a journalism club

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KJIM, Sep 16, 2008.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

All right, since there's such a dearth of new topics, here's one:

I'd like to start a journalism club at the youth center where I work. I think it would probably last about 20 weeks or so.

My thoughts include doing a curriculum on media, newspapers, writing, editing and layout and then trying to put together some kind of newsletter and distributing to the two high schools and youth center. (Or it could just be a bulletin board tacked up in my office; I have no budget.)

Any suggestion for topics? Or activities?

Note: These kids won't care about the state of the industry. They live in Morocco, so media is state-run anyway and they won't be looking for jobs. It's possible the thing ends up as a writing club.

Also, it's going to be multi-lingual, which doesn't really make a difference except that I will need someone else to do editing and things like that since I won't understand most of it. It's tough to give direction when you have a limited Arabic vocabulary and no French whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted