1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OJ Simpson: Made In America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 15, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So when white cops walk/acquitted in shooting unarmed black children and when athletes sexually or violently assault women and use the legal system to get away with it we should all feel proud. That makes America Great.

Tweener likes this.
  2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Could have been a desire to be white. Could also have been the vitiligo and the emotional scars from your abusive father calling you "big nose" since you were a child.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It seemed he could charm whoever and whatever he wanted so he could be OJ. Schmoozing corporate America, a jury in LA, whatever it took. There was a degree of invincibility he felt, obviously, that came to a crashing halt in a Vegas courtroom.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts:

No interviews with Chris Darden or Lance Ito? I'm surprised the filmmakers didn't say at the end that they declined to be interviewed (I am guessing that's the case).

What bothers me is there wasn't a single person who didn't make money from this trial/ordeal. Everyone is ever so judgmental throughout, yet they wrote a book, did a TV show, were on the payroll (Marcia Clark admitting she was working for ET). Nobody left with intregrity, nor dignity.

Going a little deeper, Mark Fuhrman and Johnny Cochran come off looking the worst. That being said, Cochran was paid to look bad, and he was brilliant in his execution.

It was laughable when OJ Simpson's longtime friend Joe Bell said it was "white justice" that OJ got 33 years for the armed robbery. Simply laughable.

OJ is up for parole next year.

Of course I remember the case. I was in high school, and in my 12 years Of schooling, I recall being able to watch two live events on TV (Challenger reaction and OJ verdict). But I never realized just how much this had to do with race. Extremely well done documentary.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I didn't realize what OJ's Florida years were like, feel bad for his kids.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Except Gil Garcetti. (...he vowed not talk of it after it was done — no book, no big broadcast sit-down, not much of anything really, even as many others spoke out and cashed in.)

The (sort-of) regrets of Gil Garcetti: 'O.J.: Made in America's' reluctant star witness

Gator likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So, because YOU think they are guilty, it must be so. Yes, it sucks that procedural issues or good lawyering can get a criminal acquitted, but I'd wager there are more innocent people in prison than guilty folks walking free. I'd take our legal system over any other.

Why would they NOT take a book deal or whatever? I don't understand such criticism.

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

An admission that innocent people are in our prisons is not exactly a ringing endorsement of our justice system.

I thought it was interesting that one juror in the O.J. murder trial blamed the buffoons leading the prosecution for O.J. getting acquitted. She never said he didn't do it. She was merely looking for a perfect case against him and when the prosecution didn't deliver that, she used it as an excuse for her own agenda. The case was still incredibly strong against him, and anyone who paid attention with impartiality saw it at the time.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This is something that I think people were puzzled with at the time, but the documentary did a good job of explaining the racial tension in Los Angeles at that time. I'm not sure it mattered whether O.J. was a part of the black community; he was still a black man in a high profile murder case, and that meant something to people who thought this could bring about change in how non-whites were treated in the justice system.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But the point is, it cuts both ways.

Tweener likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A close friend of mine is a defense lawyer here in the city. Gets a lot of Better Call Saul cases.

He takes the Cochran approach. Pretty much every one of his clients is guilty as sin and he always has to argue the police misconduct/unlawful gathering of evidence/dirty cops card.

His clients get acquitted quite a bit. When we go out for drinks, he admits their guilt to me but says it's the role he plays in life.

Draft saved Draft deleted