1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OJ Simpson: Made In America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even O.J.'s "denial" that he just loved Nicole too much sounded more like a confession.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Part 4 was brutal. Just brutal.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My next door neighbor when the verdict came out was a black attorney who worked for the US government as patent attorney, very science oriented. Very nice, Smart and nerdy guy, about 15 yeas older than me. The day after the verdict we briefly talked about it and he said "payback's a bitch".

Since OJ, every cop that shot a black guy and got away with it had supporters that said, OJ got away with one too.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

OJ was not progress. Injustice never is.

That said...do I get the verdict? Sure. You get an elite team of lawyers and talkers...pulling out all the stops to win...juries are not hard to shape in those settings.

Tweener likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There's also the small matter of LAPD making a hash out of the chain of custody.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep that was the worst part which could be seen as "reasonable doubt".

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How many people have pissed away celebrity and good fortune more than OJ?
    Probably a short list. Simpson was Everybody's All-American, wherever he went.

Now he's rotting in a prison cell. Probably crazier than ever at this point.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That happens more than we think. Great lawyers with big teams and a lot of money are better at uncovering it. They're the, uh, elite Longform writers of the legal field.

He did it. That's obvious. It was then and it is now. Hell, the doc makes it in clear in episode 5 why many of the jurors voted the way they did.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Anyone who watches this and still believes OJ was innocent is a moron.

But it is much more clear to me why he was found not guilty: 1) Idiotic police and investigators 2) Idiotic science guys 3) Darden is a moron 4) The 12 people on the jury had a combined IQ of 60

JackReacher, Tweener and HanSenSE like this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But that is justice. Any mistake by the prosecution means the murderer can't be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, even if any sane person knows he is guilty. And if you think a defense lawyer shouldn't be proud of letting a murderer walk, go pound salt.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just got done binge-watching last two episodes via on demand. Wow.

I won't be as blunt as Zag, but yeah, the prosecution made a lot of tactical errors. And Cochrane played the jury like it was modeling clay.

But for all the goodwill OJ generated in the black community that loved him through the trial, it seemed like he turned on it as soon as he could. Next to the deaths of Nicole and Goldman, this might be the greatest tragedy.

Tweener likes this.
  12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can you "turn on" something you were never actually with? Because OJ never was truly "with" the black community, indeed he did everything in his power to run from it right up until the day he was arrested (As Hondo noted, it's telling that his words as he was being driven to jail was "what are these niggers doing in Brentwood?"). To the extent he gave a different impression during the trial it was because Johnny Cochran told him to.

Other than perhaps Michael Jackson, not sure there's been any black celebrity who more seemingly wanted to be white. Which makes it so bizarre that he's the guy Black America rallied behind like nobody else I can ever remember.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Hokie_pokie and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted