1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OJ Simpson: Made In America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'm sure this is largely true. However, I will say that I specifically remember ESPN promos that used to bill Firestone's show as "hard hitting" interviews, which I recall finding laughable even back then. If the show was "always meant to be a kiss-ass 30 minutes" they didn't necessarily sell it to their viewers that way.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Out of morbid curiosity, I tried to find the full interview on YouTube. No luck on my phone.
    Yet type in "Roy Firestone promo 2013".

Apparently he pitches a one-man show for your corporate event with speaking, comedy, singing and Sammy Davis Jr impersonations.

One of the most hilariously awful things I've ever scrubbed through.

In life, play up your strengths while respecting your limitations.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hard hitting, as in you'll wanna' push your head through a plate glass window.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Firestone strikes me as the kind of guy who has already pre-recorded his eulogy set, complete with jokes, impressions and Sinatra standards, and his lawyer has the hard copy of the CD in a safe deposit box in downtown LA.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I love how these hosts feel obligated to laugh like it's the most clever thing ever whenever someone does the same hackneyed and clichéd De Niro, Sinatra and Nicholson impressions, even though you know they've seen 1) about a hundred others do the same impressions; and 2) much better versions before.

And, btw, what an odd little threadjack.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Songbird likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

To be fair, there are only so many twists an OJ thread can take.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ed McMahon wonders what the fuss is about and prepares another bowl of Alpo.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This will be touched on later, in the final two episodes. Two of the jurors interviewed sounded like they now hate the man, because when he screwed up after the acquittal and eventually went away to prison, it made anyone who cheered the acquittal look really bad.

Also, the jurors made it sound like him being acquitted was a good thing for African Americans, because finally a black man was treated fairly by the system. But when he later hinted that he may have done it in the book, and then found himself in prison for armed robbery, it gave a lot of people reason to say, "See, I told you."

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Having seen the whole thing, episode 4 is the best of the lot. Several moments that stop you cold, and a few that make you laugh out loud. (Marcia Clark's one-liner about Fuhrman...) The whole gamut.

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Roy Firestone is 3 months younger than me. I take small comfort in that my appearance is appropriate for my age.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

All of us black people knew O.J. did it. Some of us cheered because a black man with money used a corrupt system to his advantage, which was seen as progress at the time.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted