1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OJ Simpson: Made In America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He always seemed to have that same shit-eating grin when interviewing folks, though.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For the 721st consecutive week

dixiehack and Ace like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trying to think of any Firestone interview that didn't involve lots of slurpage.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

To Roy's credit, ESPN was in it's infancy and I don't think anyone at that time wanted hard-hitting interviews. If they had, they wouldn't have hired a cheeseball like Roy Firestone, who ended one show by crooning like a shitty lounge act.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I remember that Firestone interview when it happened. It was embarrassing even before we found out about the whole murdering thing. "Boy, Juice, isn't it crazy you were accused of domestic violence when you're really just the most awesome, charming, modest yet brilliant businessman and super duper guy ever?"

But then ingratiation and jock sniffing was always at the core of Firestone's schtick, and then ESPN would tout him as their "hard hitting" interviewer.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was that in last night's episode? I'd like to see that.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

FWIW, I believe that interview occurred in 1992, which is nowhere close to ESPN's "infancy."

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I meant more that the network was in its infancy when Firestone's show was created. It was always meant to be a kiss-ass 30 minutes with the biggest names in sports. At the time I believe it was the only show ESPN was doing staged in LA and not Bristol. They needed big names, and asking true questions as opposed to dick suckery, wasn't gonna' lure people to a brand new channel on a medium (cable) that was still new at the time.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bob Ley would have kicked the Juice's ass in that interview.

Stoney likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was hard-hitting. He made people like Rod Tidwell cry.

[​IMG]

Gator likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted