1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OJ finds the real killer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This might be true. But...the Daily Mail is notorious for making up stories. Making up. And not in a National Enquirer "Yeah-we-say-they-make-up-stories-but-they're-actually-really-accurate-just-ask-john-edwards" way. They're the ones who paid the mom to say she gave her little girl botox and bikini waxes even though, you know, the mom didn't give her kid botox and bikini waxes.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From what I've read, there were a couple reasons. First, the Brentwood courthouse could have never accomodated the trial, logistically. Second of all, trying the case in all-white Brentwood probably would have triggered another riot, so soon after the Rodney King trial.

Someone posted that the glove was a mistake by the prosecution. I agree, but it was just one of a million mistakes. And, ultimately, it might not have matterd anyway. He was never, ever, ever, ever going to get convicted by a jury at that time period, with those demographics. Never. Never, ever, ever. There is fascinating stuff out there about Marcia Clark going down to Phoenix to practice for mock focus group juries of black women. Almost unanimously, they hated her and loved O.J. No matter how they tried to spin the evidence or tweak the way the facts were presented, black women were not going to convict him in that case, at that time, in that city. Never.

3. Dick Whitman

Oh, and I'm not buying this news yet, either, considering the sources reporting it at this point. After the Gabrielle Giffords clusterf$ck, the "Gore Defeats Bush" headlines, Les Miles' hiring at Michigan, and so forth and so on, I pretty much need it rock solid these days before I buy in.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Daily Mail? Fabricate a story?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Bring back the glove expert.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was there ever a Gore defeats Bush headline?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember watching way more of the trial than I should have.

There was never a second where I didn't think he was guilty and there was never a second where I wasn't positive that he would be found not guilty. Almost all of the people I was watching with felt the exact same way.

8. Dick Whitman

Didn't some of the TV news networks call it?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes. But despite my political leanings I'm convinced the only reason they called it was because they wanted to go home and go to sleep.

"What time is it?"

"3:15"

"Fuck it, it's close enough. Call it and let's get out of here."

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm the exact same way. I used to watch the trial for hours when I got home from school. When asked in class what we thought the outcome was going to be on the day the verdict was handed down, I was the only one who raised my hand to say I thought he'd be acquitted.

The prosecution and police bungled that case so badly it was ridiculous. Screwing up the chain of custody on the blood evidence, Dr. Fung's bumbling testimony (he got absolutely shredded by F. Lee Bailey), the glove, Mark Fuhrman. Man, they couldn't have done much worse.

Throw in the fact that the public at large still wasn't completely convinced of the reliability of DNA testing at the time and there was no way OJ was getting convicted.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Logistics, that's short term thinking in a case of this magnitude; I would have expected more from the LA DA's office.

Potential riot? Garcetti needed to look beyond the knee jerk reaction to the Rodney King incident and look at it for what it was; OJ lived in Brentwood and was not some ghetto thug. He married a white woman, was more a hero to middle America than the 'hood. He chose to live there. Look at who his confidants were, Kardashian, etc. They were all white. It would have died down.

Draft saved Draft deleted