1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oil refinery explosion in Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ccraker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The reader-submitted art on the link ain't bad either. Nice mushroom cloud ...

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Reports say you could see the mushroom cloud up to 170 miles away (read West Texas is very flat). Also, the explosion was felt 100 miles away. Apparently a car was on the freeway near the plant and had all the windows and its windshield blown out.
    I wonder if any semi trucks were in the area. I-20 has a lot of truck traffic and you got to think there would be some trucks nearby.

3. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

While today's explosion certainly wasn't close to the degree of the Texas City explosion of 1947, it reminded me of Bill Minutaglio's book about that explosion.

The Texas City explosion was caused by 3,000-plus tons of ammonium nitrate exploding. That blast broke windows in Houston, which was about 40 miles away.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For the longest time, my dad lived just off Spencer Hwy in LaPorte, which is just loaded with refineries. I was there one Christmas, and in the middle of the night, I awoke to a sound something like someone slamming the bedroom door. Turns out a boiler had exploded at one of the refineries about 10 miles away. Two or three guys were killed. Scary stuff.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Only four injuries ... none life-threatening.

Honest Abe was smiling on Big Spring today.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're damn lucky the plant was closed for the holiday.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Apparently 170 workers would have normally been inside.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Holy hell, that's such a picture. My God.

When I head back home, I pass the Valero refinery in northern Delaware and keep an eye on it, in a bit of awe. It's a pretty big spread. I shudder to think of anything like this happening.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, to answer the question about gas prices ... up to $2.99 for regular last night at a Valero I passed, where a week ago it was $2.71. (It was still $2.85 last night at the Racetrac down the road ... that'll change.)

Honest Abe was smiling ... but Dishonest Dick is sneering.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That company owns all the 7-11s in my town, so I will have to remember to look and see if their gas is more expensive.
    Is I-20 back open? I have to drive that way tonight to cover a basketball game and don't want to have to detour.

Draft saved Draft deleted