1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oil prices, price at the pump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

For years, two stations across the street from each other near me lowered prices 10 cents a gallon on Thursdays. Both of them stopped about 2 months ago.

I've noticed such a wide range of prices the last week or so. My car takes premium (lucky me) and I can pay anywhere from $3.99 to $4.39 a gallon, all within a 10 mile radius. The station where it's $4.39 dropped the price 6 cents since yesterday. Another station near me that's usally on the pricier end of things is actually one of the cheaper stations right now.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

On another note - home heating oil down almost $1 per gallon this week.

For those who use it seems like we are reaching a good point to lock in.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Gas is down below $3.50 in these parts. I doubt it stays that way for long, though.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I saw it as low as $3.329 yesterday. It was $3.759 three days before.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's fallen to $3.40 and below in some places around here. Just waiting it for it go back up.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

1. Rule No. 1: Oil companies will screw the public 365 days of the year.

2. Rule No. 2: See rule 1.

Prices rise in $.06-$.10 increments, drop by $.02 a gallon.

7. joe

joe Active Member

My gas prices dropped by 30 cents today, from 3.49 to 3.19. I have no idea what caused the drop. But I'm going to fill up before it rises again.

8. supermall

supermall New Member

Taxes should be raised for oil companies, this should be the only way to keep them in check.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't work. They would just pass them on.

10. WS

WS Member

Oil shoots back up $5 today to around $85. Got to love it when speculators determine how much money you have or don't have.

Gas dropped about 6 cents per gallon over the past week or so around here to $3.45. Because I'm sure a $15-20 RISE in oil over a short period of time would elicit such a slow jump at the pump.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

No blue font. Cheney's going to find you and shoot you in the face.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/25/6527434-why-gas-prices-go-up-much-faster-than-they-come-down

Draft saved Draft deleted