1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oil and the economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jan 6, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

010215X.jpg 010215X.jpg

2. The low oil prices also affect other energy, such as natural gas production. Cheap oil makes it less profitable to produce natural gas.
    There's a glut of the NG supply right now, resulting less work ...

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The compulsion some people have to suck Big Oil's collective cock -- or to argue to others that they'd be better off doing so -- is truly amazing.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For the most part, I think (and I'm sure Dr. Q will be along to correct me) a drop in oil prices is a net positive because it stimulates the rest of the economy. Money otherwise spent on gasoline and heating oil becomes available to spend in other areas of the economy. That stimulus most benefits consumers on the lower end of the spectrum who typically pay a higher percentage of their incomes on energy.

However, it shouldn't be ignored that a drop in oil prices also has obvious negative consequences for the energy industry, which has huge footprint in terms of jobs and investment and related industries.

Lower oil prices also increase deflationary pressure. I think this might be a part of the stock market's reaction, which is already concerned about potential deflation in Europe along with Athens demanding renegotiation of its bailout terms.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know as I'd use the word "stimulate," but it's certainly a net positive. When oil's cheap it means there's a lot of it, which means a lot of other stuff becomes cheaper, too. Cheaper energy means a higher standard of living.

Oh, and hardee har har!

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Aw shit. We're back to worrying about deflation now? And just when I got around to the pending inflationary doom being the scourge of humanity!

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

By the time they finish building all those much-needed apartments in western North Dakota, there won't be any oil workers to live in them.

"Welcome to the Boom Town ..."

8. joe

joe Active Member

A David & David reference. Golden!

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

After the U.S. frackers park their rigs, the glut will dry up, prices will spike again, the sheiks at OPEC make a killing, the U.S. rigs get back to work, the glut reappears, prices plummet, the U.S. frackers park their rigs, the glut will dry up, prices will spike again, the sheiks at OPEC make a killing, the U.S. rigs get back to work, the glut reappears, prices plummet, the U.S. frackers park their rigs, the glut will dry up, prices will spike again, the sheiks at OPEC make a killing, the U.S. rigs get back to work, the glut reappears, prices plummet, the U.S. frackers park their rigs, the glut will dry up, prices will spike again, the sheiks at OPEC make a killing, the U.S. rigs get back to work, the glut reappears, prices plummet, etc.

You get the idea.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I applaud the Tennessee GOP leadership for discussing increasing the state's gas tax for the first time in decades, in order to pay for infrastructure improvements.

Now's the time for all states to do this. The jobs this would create would offset many of the losses in the oil industry, and would improve all of our well being.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...x-increase-gains-momentum-tennessee/20663975/

Draft saved Draft deleted