1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohlmeyer's debut as ESPN ombudsman: The Roethlisberger story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 18, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria laughs.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Very disappointing read. He's a journalistic lightweight compared to his 2 predecessors. I learned a great deal from them. I learned next to nothing from this endless screed.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

agreed.. basically said "I dont care how many times the Red Sox and Yankees are on. We're not pandering."

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Lectures on journalistic responsibility from a damn TV guy? Yeah, right.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It was a story when it was a black guy getting sued and not when a white guy was getting sued.....

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As the saying goes, "a conflict disclosed is not a conflict."

Not sure I agree with that.

7. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

As you were saying:

"Even as Walsh explained ESPN's objectives and the service provided by previous ombudsmen, I wasn't convinced. Sports television is a world of loud, quick decisions, not quiet reflection. I've never been a fan of Monday Morning Quarterbacks."

(sigh)

Wherefore art thou, Le Anne?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whoever mentioned the Cable thing: at least there was a hospital report that the assistant had been socked. There is as yet nothing but the at this point shaky word of one woman in the Roethlisberger case.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd say that 95 percent of the stuff people bitch about when it comes to ESPN is stuff that IS hashed out in production meetings with quiet reflection - not split second decisions made on the fly. I also think most people wouldn't complain about an "on the fly" decision unless it was exacerbated by subsequent coverage/non-coverage.

10. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

At the end of the day, actually, I think ESPN's professed standard is a smart one and they are right to be very cautious about giving national exposure to civil suits against athletes.

But Ohlmeyer was right about this:

"It appears that in an attempt to tamp down media criticism, ESPN issued a statement to inquiring news organizations that had questioned its lack of acknowledgment of this story. That doesn't cut it. In a situation like this you need to be proactive, not reactive. If ESPN felt it needed to explain its rationale to the New York Times or the Washington Post, then there is no excuse for not giving the same explanation DIRECTLY to its audience."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of O.J.'s closest friends... At least up until recently... Enough said...

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

More disclosure: One of my sons has worked at ESPN Regional Television for 15 years as a producer/director. He's made a great career for himself. If one of his shows requires comment in this space, I'll be sure to remind you. As the saying goes, "A conflict disclosed is not a conflict." --

Really? So as long as we know that Ohlmeyer Jr is Ohlmeyer Sr's son, we can trust Senior to be completely objective and discerning regarding his son's work? Wow, who knew it was that easy?

One other thing: How can ESPN explain directly to its audience why it's not reporting the Roethlisberger story without reporting the story? Makes no sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted