1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohlmeyer's debut as ESPN ombudsman: The Roethlisberger story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ohlmeyer's first column as ESPN ombudsman was posted today. After a long introductory section, he addresses ESPN's non-coverage of the Roethlisberger rape allegations:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=ohlmeyer_don&id=4405442

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not a fan. 4,000 words - the verbosity of a Simmons column, and all the force of a Solomon ombud column.

Schreiber set the bar high.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I disagree with Ohlmeyer. If your standards dictate it not be reported, you can't be giving up those standards just because others' standards are not yours.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better than I thought it would be - I'll be interested in reading his insights on the production side.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Interesting that ESPN was all over the Raiders coaching punch-out incident, even though there wasn't a whole lot of credible confirmation.

Guess they don't care if the Raiders are pissed at them.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lectures on journalistic responsibility from the guy who fired Norm MacDonald for making fun of O.J.

Yeah, I'm not taking this seriously at all.

7. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

This whole section of ESPN is a waste of time. ESPN lost its journalistic integrity when it 1) started trying to make movies 2) hired Emmitt Smith who apparently has never taken an English class 3) moved Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfried off the A team of Saturday night football 4) created Around the Horn with Woody, Skip and all the other piss ants and finally, 5) lost all the good anchors and reporters on SportsCenter. Now we are stuck with Ed Turder, Pedro Gomez, the official spokesman for Barry Bonds, and Sal, who must live in the Philly Eagles' training facility.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Sorry Hacksaw, Mike Gottfried had to go from the A team. Teams could be 0-11, losing 56-0 in the 12th game and he would say it was a great coaching staff. Kissed as much coach ass as Vitale.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That, and he can no longer speak clearly or quickly after having had a stroke. Listened to him lately on College Football Live or on the fourth-string broadcast crew? Brutal.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Spoil sport....

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

One thing he didn't address was the network's decision to report on a civil suit against an NBA player in May. I'd like to know how that story, the specifics of which I forget, met the "standard" but the Roethlisberger story didn't.
    Otherwise, pretty good first effort.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The WWL has standards?

Draft saved Draft deleted