1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohlmeyer named new ESPN ombudsman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think someone mentioned this move was imminent when Schreiber stepped down, but it's official now ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4327128

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You gotta be fucking kidding me. A guy who fired Norm McDonald for making OJ jokes on SNL is now going to be ESPN's internal watchdog?

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

He's quite obviously going to be the "Paula Abdul" to Ms. Schreiber's "Simon Cowell" bulldog approach the she often took.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

What difference does it make who the ombudsman is, other than for entertainment purposes? It's not like espn is ever going to bother listening to anything they say. It's just so they can say they have an ombudsman.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Why don't they just hire Ohlmeyer to run the joint?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe Ohlmeyer will, instead of focusing on the journalism and ethics, focus on the content and start ripping on the talent for not being funny, the producers for wasting time and not giving viewers scores and highlights, and it will be interesting to see his analysis of how ESPN produces football, baseball and basketball.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

ESPN ombudsman is the most irrelevant job in America.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

DO's mistake here is following the greatest act to hold the position.

I'd feel more comfortable following Solomon, myself. One looks much better, by comparison.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping Ohlmeyer opens his stint with a live blog of the ESPYs.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I wish he would write
    "ESPN screwed up last week with XXXX. Since then, Stuie Scott (or insert your most disliked here) has been suspended indefinitely for ..... In other actions, 3 producers have been fired for coming up with the inane "Find the Best Small-town Pony League team" escapade that covered all 50 states and cost the network $1.3 million for an asinine idea."

Now, see, that would be worth his while.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My respect for Simmons would double if his first podcast guest of the Ohlmeyer era was Norm MacDonald and they did O.J. jokes for 20 minutes.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What he said ...

"Few people on the planet could bring to the role of ESPN ombudsman more credentials, intelligence, a track record of success and the fearlessness to speak his mind than Don Ohlmeyer," John Walsh, ESPN executive vice president and executive editor, said in a statement. "He is a noted maverick in the industry with a vast understanding of media, and we look forward to his contributions."

What he meant ...

"Few people on the planet could bring to the role of ESPN ombudsman more credentials, intelligence, a track record of success and the fearlessness to speak his mind than Don Ohlmeyer," John Walsh, ESPN executive vice president and executive editor, said in a statement. "He is a noted maverick in the industry with a vast understanding of media, and we look forward to his contributions (which we will completely and totally ignore)."

Draft saved Draft deleted