1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio, Wisconsin, whatcha got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jan 11, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As part of my glorious March birthday, my present will be to visit a state I haven't been to before.
    Part of my ongoing goal to hit all 50 states before I turn 50.
    So the girlfriend has signed on, and she wants to go to a state she hasn't been to as well.
    Ohio and Wisconsin are two places neither of has have been, but New Mexico is also a possibility.
    And, Iowa! Des Moines, the city of lights and all that.
    The goal is to be in 12-hour driving radius from our mid-south city and all those places fall in that drive-time range

So with that in mind, what say you Ohio SportsJournalists.com or Milwaukee SportsJournalists.com. What do you have to offer?

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If you are going in March, go to Ohio.

Anytime between mid-April and September, go to Wisconsin. It is PARADISE in those months. I promise you that.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not sure what your dates are, but Milwaukee is hosting the first- and second-round NCAA games: http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/032309aab.html

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Eastern New Mexico isn't too bad in late March. The weather is reasonable, and if you don't mind goofy geeky stuff there's plenty to do. Visit Roswell for a day, do another day or two at Carslbad Caverns, head over to White Sands for another day, enjoy desolation and drive up to Fort Sumner (where Billy the Kid's grave is) for an afternoon. There's nothing that's a destination in and of itself, but there are several day trips you can combine into a three- or four-day vacation. Carlsbad Caverns alone, you can spend a week at if you can get on some of the back country cave tours.
    I did that for a solo spring break trip back in college and had a blast. Just make sure you pack the iPod and car charger for the drive across Texas.

Of course, if you're driving you might be able to do either Iowa or Ohio AND Wisconsin, depending on where you're coming from and what your criteria for visiting a state is.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Went to Wisconsin this year and it was sick. State Street bar was the coolest dive bar I had been to in a very long time. The cheese curds were not good but the bar specials were. The pitchers of beer cost whatever hour it is. So if you go at 3 p.m., enjoy those pitchers.

State Street is awesome in general with just a ton of restaurants and bars and people everywhere.

Also, our cab driver was so crazy she was fun.

Some things she said:
    Michigan or Michigan State weren't in the Big Ten, she couldn't remember which.
    Camp Randall seats 127,000 people.
    They have crazy food in Wisconsin that you can't get anywhere else. Afghani, Pakistani, and wait for it, Chinese.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let me give you the quick tour...
    Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drive safely. Enjoy your visit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Postpone it until this summer and come to the SportsJournalists.com outing in Cleveland. Two birds, one stone.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

or you could skip all three.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Member

Ohio is best in September-October, weather-wise. Some places to visit are Cedar Point in Sandusky or Six Flags in Cincinnati (Cedar Point is better IMO), the Rock Hall in Cleveland, Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, COSI (science museum) in Columbus, Amish country in Holmes County, and any of the aviation museums/halls of fame in the Dayton area. Northeast Ohio along Lake Erie also has an extensive wine industry and the southeast part of the state has some outstanding camping/hiking/outdoors possibilities. And if you go the last weekend of October, go to the Massillon-Canton McKinley game.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Girlfriend formerly known as The Virgin, will not, I repeat Not, be on a SportsJournalists.com outing. Even though the potential hilarity is pretty awesome.

And my birthday is March 18, with the NCAA tournament rolling out on March 19 in Milwaukee, that gives a reason to skip there, because cheap hotels and whatnot aren't likely to be available.

South Carolina is also a possibility. So SCSportsJournalists.com can chime in as well.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Avoid Wisconsin Dells at all costs.

And if you don't bring The Virgin to the SportsJournalists.com Outing, the terrorists have already won.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Save Wisconsin Dells for when you have little kids -- it's Waterpark Utopia.

Draft saved Draft deleted