1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio unions fighting governor -- and winning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/08/ohio_governor_aks_union_leader.html

Ohio's new anti-union law was enacted in the shadow of Wisconsin's. Apparently it has been one headache after another for the no-retreat, no-surrender Gov. Kasich, and there is a ballot measure in November to repeal the law. So the governor, after refusing for months to consider compromise, called for discussions yesterday and suggested meeting to compromise.

The union's response: Repeal now or get bent. The repeal signature drive was extraordinarily successful, and the latest poll showed voters favor repealing the law by a 56-32 margin.

Viva La Revolucion, Tea Party!

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In other words, the governor of Ohio wants to collectively bargain a bill to limit collective bargaining.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I hope they tell him to shove his "attempt" at bargaining where the sun don't shine.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

No chance this passes. The Governor will win the ballot initiative. All I kept hearing was about how the Republicans were going to be sorry when they were all recalled in Wisconsin. Despite throwing $20 million down the toilet the unions could not even gain control of the state senate. More blustering from the union loudmouths. Much ado about nothing.

By the way, these clowns were set up at flea markets and county fairs to collect signatures. I would say most people signed the petition that were asked, I know I did. I think these guys should get their election...so when they lose they can move on to the next waste of the rank and file's money.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The money that will be used to try to make SB5 law still worries me. Nothing is won yet. And the eye can't be taken off the ball off other issues either. Ultimately he's going to sell the crap out of the state's public assets (which won't need voter approval) and then he'll go work for one of those companies when the sack of shit leaves office. Bet on it.

6. Magic In The Night

You might need to do a little more reading. Walker lost his "technical" majority in Wisconsin because he lost two seats and there is one Republican who voted against the union-busting bill meaning the Dems actually have the majority on this one. Also, how do you think the "governor" in Ohio is going to "win" the ballot initiative when every poll has it at least 20 points the other way?

7. Magic In The Night

He'll either go lobbyist or go back to his old employer, Fox News.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The GOP lost two seats and spent A LOT more money than the unions did in Wisconsin.

9. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

As an Ohioan and even as a registered Republican, I think SB 5 will be overturned by the voters. The repeal effort got 1.3 million signatures, that's a huge number.
    Kasich is trying to keep it off the ballot, that tells me he's resigned to the fact it's going to lose in November. That said, a poll out today saw the margin already tightening a bit to 50 percent for repeal, 35 percent against, 15 percent undecided.
    Right now with all the turmoil in the statehouse and a state economy in the crapper Kasich's about as popular as athlete's foot.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You are either high, misinformed or a liar.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Cool, so when is SB5 getting overturned in Wisconsin?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You are totally delusional if you think Wisconsin was a "win" for the GOP.

Wait! We already knew you're totally delusional!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.