1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State warns athletes about registered sex offender

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, May 4, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is there any doubt that there will be more to this story

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't know about that but the law of average says he's not the only one.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and OSU loses recruit due to this.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=7892108

Kid, sounds like, was looking for a reason to back out anyway. And - is it just me? - his pop sounds like an idiot.

5. Not just you, SPORTSbyBROOKS has been pretty vocal about the father potentially opening himself up to a defamation lawsuit with his comments.

I've always wondered about people that take the time to incessantly tweet athletes. The never-ending stream of "can a big fan get a RT?" tweets always makes me laugh / feel bad for a lot of people.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

He looks like the guy most likely to....

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There's nothing libelous in the linked ESPN story. He calls the guy a perv and a creep and the guy is a registered sex offender.

8. I agree with you. Brooks is trying to make a case the father is libeling OSU by hinting there's a more sinister underlying problem at Ohio State, and if his comments affect other recruits' decisions, OSU could seek damages. Seems like a pretty big stretch to me, but I'm no lawyer.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think one of the very last things in the world Ohio State wants to do is go into court and have to prove that its football program is clean.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That behavior is only weird if the University isn't paying you to do it.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No tats have been harmed in the making of this thread.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice of them to warn their players about this guy.

Do they warn the rest of the student body when they recruit a player who has faced criminal charges to represent the University, and live on campus, with the rest of the students? Or when one of their players is arrested?

Have they let their students know about the accusations made against Cris Carter?

Draft saved Draft deleted