1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio State - Penn State beat World Series Game 3 in the ratings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 29, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Who. Cares.

You're bitter about baseball. We get it already. ::)

2. More people watch the NFL than MLB.

Nobody disputes that.

Jeebus, move on.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Were October Big 10 football games getting better ratings than the World Series in 1975?

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not the point, FOF.

5. Was there a point, besides what Buckweaver said?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Any other points he's made have already been smashed by facts.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Then what is?

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Well, for the remedial among you, the point is that baseball gave away its deep reach and wild popularity among the nation's sports fans so that it could be dominated by the big-market, cable-rich franchises.
    Meanwhile, football's popularity has risen steadily as it has pursued a business model in which it recognizes that it is selling athletic competition -- and that if there is no competition it has little to sell.
    Buck tried to spin that baseball's World Series ratings plunge is related to the fractionalizing of the TV audience, but I countered with the fact that the Super Bowl has not lost audience so it can't be all about fractionalizion.
    People don't care about baseball as much as they used to. And that's baseball's fault.
    What's amazing to me is that baseball lovers don't really give a damn. I'd think those who care deeply about the sport would want it to be as widely popular as possible. I don't know; maybe all the people on this board are big-market fans. But their sport is growing more irrelevant by the year outside NY/Boston/Chicago.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Last time the point was that in 1975 fans of every team truly believed their squad would win the World Series (even though half the teams had extended losing skids and no hope at the beginning of the season.)

Next time the point will be that people also hate music now because they don't buy as many CDs.

All points will be wrong.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not would.
    Could.
    Your game is withering, and you either don't know or don't care.
    Or both.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Because you say it doesn't make it so.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

An argument about competitive balance in baseball and I wasn't invited....wtf!?

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted